Sync with both Mac and Windows? Yes!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
Someone posted this might be possible yesterday but I can't seem to find that thread now. Anyway this morning I successfuly synced my contacts from my Mac and my Music from my PC! Here is how....

First I connected my iPhone to my Mac. I check on the iPhone tabs in iTunes and made sure that the music was unchecked but that everything else was checked off to sync.

Then I plugged my iPhone into my PC. It showed up in iTunes and I checked all the tabs. I checked the Music tab to sync and all the other tabs not to sync. Then I pressed the sync now button. I got a warning about the iPhone being synced with some other computer and did I want to erase everything. I said YES!

When it was done I had photos, contacts, and other info from my Mac and music from my PC! WooHoo!

- SR

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
As with regular iPods this works if you hook it to the windows machine first, right out of the box. It formats the drive fat32 which Mac OS can see.

If you hook it to a mac first it formats the drive mac osx extended and the windows machine will not be able to see it.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
As with regular iPods this works if you hook it to the windows machine first, right out of the box. It formats the drive fat32 which Mac OS can see.

If you hook it to a mac first it formats the drive mac osx extended and the windows machine will not be able to see it.
No, this is different. Even if you sync an iPod with a PC first you can not then sync iTunes from a Mac to the same iPod without overwriting all of your music.

iPhone however allows you to selective choose which items get synced to which machine. You can still only sync your music to one machine or your contacts to one machine but can chose to have your music on one and your contacts on another.

- SR

mediarite

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
ColoRADo
^^^ Correct. No formatting going on. Only syncing.
I run Parallels on my MacBook. I sync my photos, videos and music on the Mac via iTunes on the Mac. Through Parallels, I sync my Outlook contacts and calendar via iTunes in Windows.

A little clunky, but a necessity right now since I can't get my iPhone to talk to our corporate exchange server.

For some reason, I'm also unable to sync Outlook Exchange Email within iTunes. It's not recognizing my Outlook email account in iTunes.