Sync with iCal

1. tjc41

tjc41 New Member

My iPhone only syncs one way with iCal--info put on the iPhone goes to iCal, but all my vast quantities of appointments, etc on iCal won't come the other way! Help, I need this info with me and I don't want to go back to the Blackberry.

2. cdodkin

cdodkin New Member Bronze

works both ways for me

Have you checked your settings in iTunes when the iPhone is plugged in?

Dock your iPhone, select it in iTunes, then under the INFO tab - you should select Sync iCal Calendars, then select 'selected calendars', then check all the calendars on your Mac that you'd like to sync to your iPhone.

Then select APPLY or SYNC at the bottom of that screen.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. tjc41

tjc41 New Member

Thanks. It turns out I needed to clear my iSync history on the Mac. Now it works great.

5. gooch

gooch New Member

I had the same problem and this fixed it.

1. Go to iTunes and select your phone.
    2. Uncheck sync calendar.
    3. Sync Phone
    4. Select sync calendar then select "selected calendars"
    5. Select all of the calendars you need.
    6. Go to bottom in Advanced section select replace calendar.
    7. Sync Phone

Everything synced fine from phone to machine and from machine back to phone after this. Apparently iCal generates some bogus calendar if you select "all calendars".

Good luck!

6. tjc41

tjc41 New Member

Gooch,

One more thing: Do you know how I can get my .Mac mail mailboxes (with all their contents) from my Mac copied to the iPhone?

Thanks,

tjc41

7. Kabeyun

Kabeyun Member Silver

Presumably to limit caching, iPhone won't download a mailbox's contents until you open it. :( When you're out of EDGE, this cam be a little annoying.

-K

8. WORDLYPURRFECT

WORDLYPURRFECT New Member

ical sync

I have the opposite problem from others who have written and I still can't figure out what to do.

I put appointments in my iPhone and they do not automatically appear in ICAL on my macbook pro, but whatever I put in ical on my MBP syncs to the phone. My MBP shows up in pink for my 'home calendar,' the appointments I put on my phone are red. I don't know if that matters. Do I need to create a red "PHONE" calendar in ICAL? I want to be able to open my laptop and see the same calendar that I see on my iPhone. Any ideas? Can't find it anywhere; can't get NEAR a GENIUS!
    thanks!

9. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius Platinum

are you using MobileMe?

10. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist Gold

I do not think this is a Mobile Me problem.

11. acosmichippo

if he's using mobileMe, then it's a mobileMe problem. He said "I put appointments in my iPhone and they do not automatically appear in ICAL on my macbook pro, but whatever I put in ical on my MBP syncs to the phone." That leads me to believe he's using mobileMe, but it is unclear... hence the question.

12. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist Gold

Yes, but if his calendars are two different colors, then he's not using Mobile Me. Mobile Me will automatically change your calendars to match colors.

13. acosmichippo

well, i believe this problem is because he has mobileMe set up on one device (probably his computer), but has not activated it on his iPhone.

14. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist Gold

That could definitely be it. I set up my iPhone first and then set up my computer. In fact, I wasn't sure my computer was actually set up until I sync'd something.

Sorry for the misunderstanding :)

15. WORDLYPURRFECT

I have the opposite problem from others who have written and I still can't figure out what to do.

I put appointments in my iPhone and they do not automatically appear in ICAL on my macbook pro, but whatever I put in ical on my MBP syncs to the phone. My MBP shows up in pink for my 'home calendar,' the appointments I put on my phone are red. I don't know if that matters. Do I need to create a red "PHONE" calendar in ICAL? I want to be able to open my laptop and see the same calendar that I see on my iPhone. Any ideas? Can't find it anywhere; can't get NEAR a GENIUS!
    thanks!

16. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist Gold

If you read above, we tried to solve the problem...

Are you using Mobile Me?

17. WORDLYPURRFECT

Not quite sure what you mean... When you say you set up your computer first, does that mean that you added your dates into ICAL first, then synced to your iPhone? If I attempt to start all over again, I'd have to delete my appointments on my iPhone and put them in to my ICAL first? Yes, I am using Mobile Me. I can just give up and use only the calendar on my iPhone, I suppose. :( I am feeling dumb.

18. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist Gold

If you are using Mobile Me then all you have to do is sync your computer to MObile Me as well. It is sounding like you sync'd your phone to Mobile Me but not your computer. Goto the Mobile Me support page on Apple.com and read about how to sync your computer up. Follow the directions and this should solve your problem.

Are you using a mac or a PC?

19. acosmichippo

make sure you have followed the steps outlined in the Apple tutorial provided here.

Especially Step #4.

20. WORDLYPURRFECT

Thanks all! Well, after a ten minute GENIUS visit, I found out that I did not specifiy the right calendar as 'default.' The minute I did, it all worked fine. All I have to do is be sure I add appointments to that same calendar (email@mac.com), instead of the one I was using (on my iPhone). Now email.com is my default and everything is working fine. Sometimes I feel so Mac-ly challenged! Thanks so much for your help!

21. gking34

gking34 New Member

Hi everyone,
    I just purchased an iPhone to replace my old phone as well as my palm tungsten pda. I had my Mac set up to sync the palm device with Microsoft Entourage. In order to prepare for using the iPhone using mobileme, i imported my entourage calendar info into ical (using isync if i remember). That went fine. And after syncing the iPhone, all the info went to the iPhone as planned. But then I saw that a recent appointment i entered into the iPhone calendar didn't show up in ical. So I checked iTunes and saw that my calendar syncing was not checked. So i checked it on, and synced.

Next thing i know, most of the info in ical disappeared. All the holiday calendars and most appointments. The only calendar left there is a nearly empty entourage calendar.

The iPhone still has all the info, but now i am afraid to do anything.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem is and how i can proceed without losing years of important calendar data?

Grateful for any sound advices!