Synching Imported Playlist

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Raziel26, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Raziel26

Raziel26 New Member

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with synching to a playlist that existed on another computer but has been exported to my new one.

I want my new computer to be the one that my iPhone synchs to so I exported my iPhone playlist from my old computer to my new one which has exactly the same music library as my old computer. The problem is that iTunes doesn't recognize them as the same playlist, so when I make any changes and try to synch, iTunes is trying to add another 8GB playlist to the one thats already on there, rather than realising that the songs are actually all the same bar a couple of them, so I have 2GB of space but can't add any more songs without iTunes trying to add the whole lot when most of them are duplicates.

An easy solution would be to erase all of the music already on the iPhone and just synch it with the playlist on the new computer but however hard I try, I can't see to get it to delete any songs. Synching with an empty playlist doesn't work and I don't want to reset to factory settings and lose all of my texts, contacts etc.

Surely there must be a workaround to this without deleting everything? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Raziel26

Raziel26 New Member

I've tried a few things having searched around the forum. This seems to be the prevailing advice:

- Uncheck Sync Music in iTunes and sync (this will delete all music from your phone).
    - Check Sync Music in iTunes and sync (this will put the songs back on your device).

But this doesn't actually delete any music from my phone and I've no idea why

3. Raziel26

Raziel26 New Member

All sorted - found out that you can delete all songs from Settings > Usage > Music

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

There are two solutions that come to mind:

(a) Have you tried unchecking the boxes immediately to the left of each song name in the playlist in question (this box means whether or not to sync a given song during the sync with your iPhone), then doing the sync (this will delete any songs without that checkmark next to the title). Then, making sure that playlist exists only once on the computer itself, put the checkmark back on the songs you want to sync and re-sync.

(b) The songs in this playlist, did you get them through iTunes or ripped them from your own CDs? If you downloaded them from iTunes, I'm 99% sure you can delete them (then sync) and later re-download them to sync again without paying again. It definitely works with apps. But let me do a bit of research first. So don't try suggestion (b) just yet until I get back to you. Of course, even if I find that this re-downloading without paying again works, you must be on the original Apple ID that purchased the songs in the first place to do so again.

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

That deletes music from your iCloud backup. It means manage storage on your iCloud--not the iPhone, if you're talking about Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage!

This 25GB of storage refers to the 25GB every iCloud user gets for free.

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Looks like you beat me to the answer! :). Let me know how that works out for you.

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.[/quote]

7. Phantom Falcon

Phantom Falcon New Member

This is also a good fix: On your iPhone look for the "iTunes" app and click on it. On the bottom, look for "Purchased" and click on that. From there you can download your Music and TV Shows. I too was unable to regular way from iTunes, but this worked great. It should work for you, at least for these items.