Synchronica for Exchange Syncing

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
I noticed this morning the slowness, until around 9 and then...I logged into the https://www.syncml.biz/sync/user/faces/jsp/work-perspective.jsf site and it was much faster and responsive and I could finally load and go.

The push to phone option is still grayed out I assume this option is not available yet or during the trial, but the speed of sync to and fro is much more acceptable right now. 9.22am eastern.

I think if they boost the performance enough to get through the trial I will subscribe if it is reasonable. Figure around what the BB service costs are and my company would pay it. (US$30-45.00 per month with Verizon or T-Mobile)

Anything beyond that and my company will laugh at me and I get a black pop-tart again with a crappy keyboard.
It's back up again for me, too, this morning.

I'm not familiar with what's included with Blackberry service, but the fact that this service does not offer contact, calendar and task syncing, nor does it offer push, makes it less valuable than services that do offer those features. IMO, $30-$45 per month would be way too high for a service like this. I'm only paying $20 per month for unlimited data, and I'd sooner check my e-mail through Safari via Outlook Web Access than pay double that just to check my e-mail through the iPhone's e-mail application. As it stands right now, the service just doesn't offer enough to justify a high monthly price tag.

gtnator

Aug 21, 2007
Pricing

It's back up again for me, too, this morning.

I'm not familiar with what's included with Blackberry service, but the fact that this service does not offer contact, calendar and task syncing, nor does it offer push, makes it less valuable than services that do offer those features. IMO, $30-$45 per month would be way too high for a service like this. I'm only paying $20 per month for unlimited data, and I'd sooner check my e-mail through Safari via Outlook Web Access than pay double that just to check my e-mail through the iPhone's e-mail application. As it stands right now, the service just doesn't offer enough to justify a high monthly price tag.
I agree. With Blackberry, you pay anywhere from $20-45 per month but you get a lot. Email, contacts, calendar, meeting reminders,...everything with a great user interface. With Synchrona, I would hope they price this service more like MobiTV, something like $5/month. Otherwise in the $20+ range, there is more competition and many more options....(even the FREE OWA though a browser.

heysatan

Aug 21, 2007
Slooooow

I need my corporate e-mail. I ditched my blackberry for this iPhone.... (not the smartest decision, but definitely the fun decision.)

I've been trying to use Synchronica for 4 days now on and off, and honestly, it's too slow to justify using. I had one brief period of speed, but besides that I guess I'll have to forward my corporate e-mail to a g-mail account until there is a true solution.

I assume that Synchronica has a good cdn, because there is no way they will be able to deliver a service like this with a couple of servers...

We just need an application on the iPhone that reads from Microsoft OWA directly. The middle ware thing is missing the point, although I applaud the effort if Apple doesn't come around.

Does anyone know how Visto is going to handle this differently? I signed up for their Beta too.

heysatan

Aug 21, 2007
honestly, it's working much better the last two days. I don't want to unfairly demonize them...

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Is anyone familiar with mail2web's exchange outlook sync?
It is a free service, but was wondering if it (at least the calendar) would sync with the iPhone...

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
Synchronica's service has been VERY reliable of late. Kudos to them for finally getting things sorted out.

The only real glitch I've been running into is when I try and move e-mails from the Inbox into a specific mail folder. More often than not, I get the following error message:

"Unable to Move Message

The message could not be moved to the mailbox [name of mailbox here]"

Any thoughts on what would be causing this? It doesn't happen with every message, but I'd say it happens no less than half the time.

heysatan

Aug 21, 2007
Agreed - Much better

The service has been working much better at receiving emails. I haven't run into the unable to move folder problem, but I have had a few problems sending messages.

Sometimes, the server times out, other times, it sends 2 messages. I don't have a comprehensive list of why or how this happens, I just noticed that part of the service is a little spotty.

All together though, I am able to use the service like I did my blackberry. Now, when I pay for it, does the Synchronica message go away?

adamzeit

Aug 13, 2007
Synchronica - Quick Question

Hi there - just signed up for the Synchronica Free Trial - got it up and running in 5 minutes.

Quick question for the group....what benfits will Synchronica provide me on my iPhone compared to a direct IMAP connect to my Exchange server? The first one I noticed is that when I delete an email on the iPhone - it finally DOES delete back on Exchange too....yes!

Can you guys give me some other tips on my Synchronica is improved over 'plain' IMAP?

Much appreciated everyone.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
Hi there - just signed up for the Synchronica Free Trial - got it up and running in 5 minutes.

Quick question for the group....what benfits will Synchronica provide me on my iPhone compared to a direct IMAP connect to my Exchange server? The first one I noticed is that when I delete an email on the iPhone - it finally DOES delete back on Exchange too....yes!

Can you guys give me some other tips on my Synchronica is improved over 'plain' IMAP?

Much appreciated everyone.
If you already have IMAP enabled on your Exchange Server, then you probably don't even need this service. It's a solution for people who use Exchange, but can't get their IT departments to enable IMAP.

Bottom line: after the free 60-day trial, using this service will essentially represent paying for something that you're already getting for free.

adamzeit

Aug 13, 2007
If you already have IMAP enabled on your Exchange Server, then you probably don't even need this service. It's a solution for people who use Exchange, but can't get their IT departments to enable IMAP.

Bottom line: after the free 60-day trial, using this service will essentially represent paying for something that you're already getting for free.

Well, for some reason my Hosted Exchange service (www.123together.com) has an issue when I delete an email on my iPhone (connected to server via IMAP), it only shows as 'read' on my Exchange server, and never gets deleted. Also, they send emails using their MX1 SMTP service, which do not wind up show up in my Sent folder on Exchange. These 2 items alone make Synchronia more convenient then IMAP (today anyway), but not worth more then $ 10 a month for now.

Honestly, I'm sort of keeping my fingers crosses for OTA Exchange support - or BlackBerry Connect support - on the iPhone before Christmas!

abbyroad

Jul 2, 2007
Bumping this thread to see if there are still any Synchronica users out there. I can't use ActiveSync :( Is Synchronica safe?