Syncing another iPhone with my Mac

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bcpski, Nov 20, 2011.

1. bcpski

bcpski New Member

My girlfriend has an iPhone 4 that was previously synched with a laptop that she does not own anymore. She now wants to synch it with my macbook that currently has my iPhone synched to it. Is there a way to do this safely without compromising the data on either phone? Thanks

2. Camitampa

Camitampa Member
    Bronze

I sync three iPhones and a nano to my iMac. No problems at all. We have 1 Apple acc so we have sync new apps turned off. Use separate playlists for music.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe app

3. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

You cannot transfer music and Apps from her iPhone to your Mac through iTunes. Have to set that up manually. Also, contacts will merge with yours or she could lose them. Recommend she sync them with iCloud or Google. To get her Apps into your iTunes you will have to authorize your iTunes to her account. In short, you can eventually do it, but setting it up the first time will be risky, tricky and time-consuming.

4. bcpski

bcpski New Member

Thanks guys. Music won't be an issue as she has none on her phone now. Apps, contacts and calendar stuff are the things she is worried about.

5. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Syncing those with iCloud first is probably the easiest and safest.

6. Camitampa

Camitampa Member
    Bronze

Sync contacts with iCloud. Don't sync mail and everything should be fine. I sync both my teenage daughters phones to my iMac and never (even before iCloud,) had the contacts merge. If it asks permission to merge choose not to.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe app