Syncing & Back Up Question

Discussion in 'iPhone 7' started by topcat84, Oct 30, 2016.

1. topcat84

topcat84 Contributor
    Bronze

Hi Guys!!
    I wanted to know how most of you sync and back up your iPhones. I guess I've always done it the old fashioned way by manually backing it up and using My Computer rather than iCloud. After receiving my 7 Plus I decided to pay the $2.99 per month for the additional 50GB iCloud storage. Would it be easier and more efficient to check the box under "BackUps" to "Automatically Backup to iCloud" and then under "Options" check the box "Sync with this phone over WiFi"? I guess I've just always misunderstood how the "Cloud" works and I'm afraid of screwing something up. You'd think I'd be more knowledgeable by now since I've owned iPhones since the first one was released, but Apple just has a different way of doing things and I've always owned PCs. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Cheers!!

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

3. topcat84

topcat84 Contributor
    Bronze

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

And to answer your initial question;
    I rarely back up to my PC ( maybe once every few months or so ). I back up to iCloud, which is set to back up when the phone is on wifi & plugged into power.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I back up my phone about once every week or so to iCloud. I'm still within my free 5 gb of storage space. I have about 2 gb available. All my photos and images go on Box and Dropbox. I don't back those up to iCloud.

6. topcat84

topcat84 Contributor
    Bronze

Hi RoofMonkey!!
    That's what I think I'll do. Can you tell me what boxes you click under "Options"? Should I just click the box ""Sync with this phone over WiFi" and leave the others unclicked? And does "Encrypt iPhone Backup" only apply when you use the computer to backup? I don't know what that means. Thanks in advance. Cheers!!

7. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I don't have sync over wifi checked in iTunes. Someone else can probably offer a better explanation, but syncing and backing up aren't really the same.
    The sync over wifi just eliminates you having to hook up the phone to your computer via a cable. But you still need to open up iTunes to sync the device.
    Encryption works for iCloud backups as well. We have a user here that recently ran into the problem of forgetting the password he assigned to his iCloud backup and was unable to restore a new phone from that backup. It's a good security feature to use though, as it will back up some additional items a 'normal' backup doesn't ( due to the lack of security )
    Some info here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205220

8. topcat84

topcat84 Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks again for your help!! Cheers!!

9. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

10. topcat84

topcat84 Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks again, RoofMonkey!! It looks like I'm not the only one confused about the differences in "backup" and "syncing". Maybe I'll just do things the way I've always done them. Cheers!!

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, it's a lot easier to backup to iCloud because it automatically makes daily backups in the background. You don't need to do anything in iTunes. Just toggle on iCloud backups in the iCloud settings on your phone. The next time you open iTunes, you'll notice that it switched you from iTunes to iCloud backups.

12. topcat84

topcat84 Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks Europa!!

13. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I've always synced/backed up to my PC about once a week. I'm not a big believer in putting all that personal information on something I'm not in control or possession of and having to pay for the privilege besides. The only time I can foresee this being a problem is if I'm away from home for an extended period of time and have an issue with the phone that requires a restore from a backup.

14. Woesong

Woesong Member
    Bronze

Yes, but are iCloud backups the same as iTunes? Seems like I read somewhere iCloud backups did not include such items as music and books purchased off the  range. This is so?

Anyway, it's very simple to do both. Just plug into your iMac and change the setting to back up to the computer and hit "backup now." Then switch backups to iCloud again and away you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Or when, not if, you have a drive failure/problem on that computer :(

16. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

The iPhone and iPad backups on my PC are also copied to an external hard drive every day along with a lot of other data. I am a firm believer in Backup, Backup, Backup. You can never have too many.