syncing delete contacts

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
ok . so I put in new contacts on the iPhone manually like my haircuttery and my scion dealership. then a day later i synced some music to the iPhone later on that day i looked at my contacts and realized those contacts i input on the iPhone the other day were gone . what the heck? so i did some investigating on iTunes and i saw the the contacts was checked. So that could be the reason it deleted those new contacts because it wasn't in my address book on my mac and it synced all my contacts i had again without the new ones i manualy inputed on the iPhone . this is the same way with music and videos if you take a song out of your playlist you sync with the iPhone and then sync it it will remove that song from the iPhone that you took out of the playlist.

I was kinda pissed that with the contacts check mark checked it deleted my new numbers i input on the iPhone . i guess ill have to do is not check that. but what if i have new contacts i input on my mac and want to sync it with my iPhone, it will delete the numbers not already in my address book that are on my iPhone? this is so dumb . AM I CORRECT ON THIS . OR AM I DOING SOMTHING WRONG .

spyrwebs

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Travelin man, SOCAL
You can leave the contacts to auto sync but all the way down theres another menu that says somthing like overwrite contacts or update contacts on iPhone or something in that manner. I cant remember but Make sure its unchecked.

Nuggets

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I think the the lack of flexibility in iTunes is crappy. I actually overwrote the default wallpaper with some I downloaded from the net. Also, if you uncheck something that you do not want to synch, iTunes thinks that you want to remove it. There should be a separate function for this.

GQmacguy

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Under the "Info" tab and down at the bottom under "Advanced", there is a "Replace information on this iPhone" section. If you have any of those checked, it will delete the information on your iPhone with whatever is on your computer... so be careful!

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Under the "Info" tab and down at the bottom under "Advanced", there is a "Replace information on this iPhone" section. If you have any of those checked, it will delete the information on your iPhone with whatever is on your computer... so be careful!
thanks for that .. .apple should have put a training video up for this . because they just assumed we would know all of this .

GQmacguy

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
thanks for that .. .apple should have put a training video up for this . because they just assumed we would know all of this .
Yeah, but actually they are not checked by default. And there is a warning under them that says "All your information on your iPhone will be replaced with the data from this computer". So, I guess to that extent they are warning us ;)

wow533

Jul 13, 2007
syncing delete contracts

Yep, it happened to me. I got the 5% message and didn't realize what I was about to do and it dumped my entire contact list from Address Book. You can imagine how pissed I was? Now I'm afraid to sync at all, which is ashame since I'm a loyal Mac user and my typical perception is that I can't screw up on a Mac.

Yeah, but actually they are not checked by default. And there is a warning under them that says "All your information on your iPhone will be replaced with the data from this computer". So, I guess to that extent they are warning us ;)

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Isn't the first part of the sync process to back up your iPhone? If so, you could restore from that back up and your phone should be exactly like it was before you syncd.