Syncing from Two PC's

iPhone-Planet

Bronze
Jun 1, 2007
Well, in case anyone else runs into this problem, I had an iMac first with over 1500 songs on it from iTunes.
Then, I bought myself an laptop running windows vista when my son took over the iMac.
I loaded iTunes onto the new laptop and bought some songs and videos using the same account info. When I bought the iPhone I brought it home and synced it with the new Laptop, thinking that I could hook it up to both PC's and load music from them both.

WRONG!

Will not happen!

When you hook up to the second PC, a screen tells you that you have to erase all the current iPhone contents if you want to sync to another library of songs on another PC.
So now I have to burn the song folder from the iMac and then load it to the iTunes on the laptop and then sync to the phone from there.

Such craziness!

Will let you all know how this all works out.

BruddaMan

Jul 1, 2007
Yeah I don't like the fact that you can't manage your iPhone manually. I'm sure they'll include that functionality in a future iTunes/iPhone update.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
As long as you're not trying to merge two sets of the same type of data, you should be able put one type of data from one machine onto the iPhone and another type from another.

Such as...
PC: for calendar
Mac: for everything else

Actually, as long as it's not music/video, you should be able to combine all other data. It will eventually be the same on both computers though.

iPhone-Planet

Bronze
Jun 1, 2007
I was on the phone with Apple Tech Support today and the phone will only sync with one PC or device.
You have to wipe the phone clean during the syncing process and then it will allow the syncing to go through on the new machine or second machine carrying iTunes.
I am now having trouble with songs or song folders that are check-marked for syncing and it will not sync those songs. Do they have to be all from iTunes? Some of the songs might be from other sources, but I don't believe that is the problem.

applefreak

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Winter Park FL
Since the phone wipes clean during every syncing, guess there isn't much difference.