Syncing iPhone to 2 computer iTunes

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I would like to be able to sync my iPhone 3GS to my desktop and my laptop iTunes. I currently have it synced to my desktop iTunes. I will be using my Laptop more now, so yeah, you understand. I found the process of doing this, and it seems kind of complicated.

Anybody want to help a fellow iPhone user out with instructions?

I just tried doing this by following directions using hex editor. It didn't seem to work. It said you click on manually manage songs and videos afterwards, and it wont give you message about erase and sync anymore. It still did.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
when you check the box for Manually manage music, etc, you need to re-sync once before it will stop bugging you about erasing. IOW, the time after you check the box, it WILL erase your iPhone, but from then on, it shouldn't bother you anymore.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Hi. Thanks for your help acosmichippo. I synced with the laptop. It erased my music. Then I am now resyncing with the original computer. After this, when I go back to sync with laptop, it should allow me to sync without erasing what's on phone?

Andy65

Jul 27, 2009
I would like to be able to sync my iPhone 3GS to my desktop and my laptop iTunes. I currently have it synced to my desktop iTunes. I will be using my Laptop more now, so yeah, you understand. I found the process of doing this, and it seems kind of complicated.

Anybody want to help a fellow iPhone user out with instructions?

I just tried doing this by following directions using hex editor. It didn't seem to work. It said you click on manually manage songs and videos afterwards, and it wont give you message about erase and sync anymore. It still did.
=============

This is possible but not with the media content, you can sync contacts, calendars by merging info but, when it comes to music/videos/pics I would suggest to save it to an external hard drive and transfer it to your laptop.

Hope this helps,
~Andy

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
If your PCs are the same OS and the same user account name, it can be easy. Have your iTunes library consolidated if it isn't already, and copy the iTunes music folder to the same location on the other computer (do it with iTunes closed). If there is one already in place then move it out. Once copied, open iTunes. With any luck, you get your iTunes library without having to erase the media when syncing to the other computer. Note: be sure to use Transfer Purchases from the file or iTunes menu whenever you have a new app or song on it.

If anything is different, like OS or username, it can get tricky. If this is the case, let me know and I'll dig out a post of mine that describes the process

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
To be honest one should not even have to go through all of this just to sync to two computers. People have complained about/wanted dual sync capability for years (dating back to iPods) and Apple still hasn't listened. There are many situations for dual computer use. Most people have a laptop & desktop, work & home computer, husband & wife computer, Mac & PC and any other variation of two computers.

It's just sad how Apple has really gotten away from listening to customers in exchange for Apple's way or no way. Apple needs to look at what's taking place at their rival Microsoft. Get away from customers needs in search of the company's own quest and begin to lose market share. Mark

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
ummm... you CAN. like i said earlier.