Syncing iPhone with Outlook

Cliffman

Dec 12, 2007
I don't much care for iTunes when it comes to syncing my iPhone. It was my understanding the 2.0 upgrade will allow the use of MS exchange to sync with outlooks contacts and calendar. I already have my email being downloaded using Wi-Fi. How is this accomplished? Do we use stand alone syncing software like the one I used when I had my Trio?

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
I don't much care for iTunes when it comes to syncing my iPhone. It was my understanding the 2.0 upgrade will allow the use of MS exchange to sync with outlooks contacts and calendar. I already have my email being downloaded using Wi-Fi. How is this accomplished? Do we use stand alone syncing software like the one I used when I had my Trio?
Just enable push in the 'Settings' preferences:

Settings
Fetch New Data
Push-On

Then in

Settings
Mail, Contacts, Calendars
Pick your exchange account and enable what you want (Mail, Contacts, Calendars)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It allows you to sync with an Exchange server at work or school. Most people don't have an Exchange server at home. Outlook on a home computer is different than outlook on a corporate exchange server.

Cliffman

Dec 12, 2007
Okay... guess exchange is not for me. :-(

Jagbomb

Jul 23, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I have enabled my Fetch New Data for my email that I get through work (exchange Outlook). I now get email pushed to me every fifteen minutes, which is great. The problem is that I'm not getting contacts and calendar items pushed with it. Does anyone have any input on this and how it works? Thanks

**update**

I got it figured out, needed to create a new email account and enter my exchange info instead of using my pre-2.0 account.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
I got it figured out, needed to create a new email account and enter my exchange info instead of using my pre-2.0 account.

Yeah, I had the same issue.

What was weird was that I had it working on my V1 phone with 2.0, and then I picked up the 3G - and it did NOT work - I kept getting an error about my authentication data being invalid. Drove me batty until I got home and determined that Outlook couldn't authenticate either - the Domain Controller apparently was down. :) Only problem was that I had no contacts for a bit until they got the DC back online. Now it works quite well.

Cliffman

Dec 12, 2007
How would you guys suggest I setup my sync with outlook. I don't have nor do I want MS exchange and I hate iTunes. Is there any other way? maybe a stand alone software that will sync the iPhone 2.0 with outlook without using iTunes?

Jagbomb

Jul 23, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
iTunes is the only way as far as I know.
Ditto. iTunes is needed. Also, I work in my company's IT department so if our Domain Controller was down I'd definitely know, but I can see why you weren't able to sync while it was down.

I have been very pleased with the 2.0 update though. Some apps are a bit pokey but the pro's easily out-weigh that. Apps that are fun to use so far are Shazam and Remote. Also SportsTap is cool if you follow MLB, NFL, etc.

Cliffman

Dec 12, 2007
Well, Moble-me is one option but I don't want to spend 99.00 per year. Pretty cool though...