syncing issue

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i'm running a 1.1.4 jailbroken iPhone and it has always run awesome. yesterday when i plugged it in to sync a message popped up from iTunes that says

"iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone. Go to the summer tab in iPhone preferences and click Restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings."

it also deleted all of my music as i went to listen to it yesterday and it is showing nothing there. it still runs fine and everything, but this is just odd to me. if anyone has any ideas feel free to post them up, i'm not against restoring and rejailbreaking (i've done it a bunch of times) but i have a ton of apps and would have to either write them down or use timecapsule (which i haven't used yet). so thanks in advance for any advice.

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
ahh.. rejailbreak using ziPhone.org and put your music back on..anytime u restore u lose your music etc..

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
^yah i hear ya on the restore and losing music ordeal, just wondering if there is any other fix to this that anyone knows other than restoring and rejailbreaking it.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
hard to say what the problem is... sounds like the file structure is corrupt or something... i guess you could try removing all of your music, pics, ideos, etc and then reloading them... but to be safe, i would just restore.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
hard to say what the problem is... sounds like the file structure is corrupt or something... i guess you could try removing all of your music, pics, ideos, etc and then reloading them... but to be safe, i would just restore.
yah, as far as i know restoring is the only option because when i connect it it doesn't even give me an option to manage any pics, music, notes, contacts or anything like that.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
so if i want to use timecapsule to back up all my stuff on my phone, i just use it and email all my stuff to myself so i can restore the same stuff back when i rejailbreak it?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
You would probably get more replies to these questions on the iPhone modifications forum. The hackers and jailbreakers tend to read that forum first. This forum is for more general questions about the stock iPhone and its firmware.

Good luck.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
so if i want to use timecapsule to back up all my stuff on my phone, i just use it and email all my stuff to myself so i can restore the same stuff back when i rejailbreak it?
Yes you can email backups to yourself to use once you re-jailbreak and reinstall TimeCapsule. It doesn't do *everything* yet though unfortunately. It's adding features all the time so I honestly don't know the whole current list of what it will get, but it's a lot, and will save a lot of time and aggro ...

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Sync gets stuck right off the bat, "syncing contacts".......

Goes on for hours if I let it be without any progress. If I stop sync, and go right to the Music tab in iTunes, and sync from there, no problem...

What's the deal? Any suggestions? Been like this since 2.0 update.

sim

Aug 19, 2008
Rochester, MN
Sync gets stuck right off the bat, "syncing contacts".......

Goes on for hours if I let it be without any progress. If I stop sync, and go right to the Music tab in iTunes, and sync from there, no problem...

What's the deal? Any suggestions? Been like this since 2.0 update.
Have you made any major changes to your contacts?

I have read on other forums of a pop up window coming up behind iTunes stating something about more than 5% change in contacts and asking if this is correct. Try that.

Steve

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
whenever that happens just cancel your sync by the slide on the phone and start all over. That tends to fix things.

Aug 10, 2009
I'm having a problem with syncing my phone.

Whenever I plug it into my mac, the coloured dial just keeps spinning, and I can never get past the syncing pictures menu. When I unplug my phone to try again, the little "Let's Get Started" screen pops up for about half a second, then goes back to my iTunes library.

I've tried turning off my mac, turning off my phone, and resetting my phone, but nothing seems to work.

Any help?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Try and remove and reinstall your Apple drivers. Sounds like a usb driver issue

Jun 11, 2009

Whenever I plug it into my mac, the coloured dial just keeps spinning, and I can never get past the syncing pictures menu. When I unplug my phone to try again, the little "Let's Get Started" screen pops up for about half a second, then goes back to my iTunes library.

I've tried turning off my mac, turning off my phone, and resetting my phone, but nothing seems to work.

Any help?
you can try pc suite that sync app may fix this

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com

Any help?
Have you ever been able to sync your iPhone to your Mac? What version of the Mac OS and iTunes are you running?

Try and remove and reinstall your Apple drivers. Sounds like a usb driver issue
Drivers are not an issue on Macs like they are on PCs, particularly when it relates to another Apple product.

you can try pc suite that sync app may fix this
He has a Mac, not a PC and that software won't work.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I agree with macgirl-

drivers aren't an issue with macs. Make sure your running on the latest version of OSX 10.5.8 and make sure your running on the latest version of iTunes.

Try different USB slots, or even try a different computer.

Dan36882

Jul 3, 2010
My iPhone has apps from two separate Itune accounts.
One is personal and one is businesss.
I sync with my personal account to my computer.
The apps downloaded from my businesss account do not sync on my computer.
I need to sync them, so that I can update my phone.

Or, when I update, can I log in to iTunes and reinstall the apps without having to pay for them again.

Thanks in advance.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
I think you need to authorize your personal computer for your businesss account. You can then download your Apps to your PC using that account. They should then be able to sync to phone. But you can update them from your iPhone already.

GSA190

Bronze
Oct 29, 2007
New York
I'll get right to the point. I have to many songs to fit onto my iPhone 4. When I plug in my iPhone and I go to the music tab, I uncheck a few artist to make some space in my phone. When the syncing is done, artist who I unchecked on iTunes still appear on my phone. Any solutions?

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
GSA190 said:
That is checked. I'm still having the same problem.
With your iPhone plugged in and highlighted in iTunes, go to the "Music" Tab at the top of the page. Click Sync Music; then unclick Entire Music Library and Click Selected Playlists, Artists, etc. Then go to the boxes below that and check the Albums, Artists, Playlists, etc that you want on your iPhone. Then sync - or actually in the lower right hand corner you should have the option to Apply.

Last edited by a moderator: