Syncing JB iPhone with pre-installed apps/songs

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by SunnyMav, Apr 24, 2012.

1. SunnyMav

SunnyMav New Member

Hi,

I have been using a jailbroken iPhone4 with a gevey sim. Last week I got the phone unlocked, and now I wanted to upgrade my iOS 4.1 to 5.0.1, but before that I just wanted to clarify a few queries. I did look for similar posts but didn't have much luck so here I am looking for expert advise from all of you.
    When I first got the phone, a friend did the jailbreak, and put in a lot of apps, songs, movies etc. Since then i have added many apps myself through 'Cydia' , and added many tweaks too.
    I have used the 'backup' option in the past using the iTunes, but never did the 'sync' because it always tells me that everything on my iPhone will be replaced by my iTunes - which is essentially clean with nothing installed on it.
    All the apps / songs / movies that my friend installed on my phone are in his computer.

So that's my dilemma, how do I sync things on my iPhone to my computer? I can re-install a few apps, and may be some tweaks too, but it seems too much to sync and loose everything on the phone?

I am not sure "Authorize This Computer" option will be a solution for this problem, because the source is not with me.
    Restoring from backup won't solve it either because that will downgrade it back to 4.1!

Would really appreciate if someone can tell me a solution to this problem, and to save the things on my phone befor upgrading (& later on jailbreaking to) iOS 5.0.1.

Take care,
    Sunny

2. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Talk of ********** (pirated apps) is forbidden on eiC.

As far as the media from your friend loaded, I'm afraid you are out of luck.
    You are correct, "authorizing this computer" serves a different function.

You can save your Cydia tweaks with PKGBackup.
    Once installed and backup made, you will be able to recover all the Cydia info once you rejailbreak.

The way I understand it, u will have to start from scratch for any apps or media that came from your friends iTunes account.

3. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

I hope you got your SHSH blobs saved for 5.0.1....since Apple is no longer signing that firmware...

4. SunnyMav

SunnyMav New Member

Thank you for your response, and I guess will have to re-install those apps again. Didn't realize about the **********, so will be mindful of that.
    So if I understand correctly, I take back up of Cydia tweaks/packages through PKGBackup, then I upgrade to 5.0.1, re-jailbreak, re-install PKGBackup, and then restore using the original PKGBackup backup, correct? And the fact that the backup was taken on previous firmware (4.1) and i s being restored on upgraded firmware (5.0.1), would that have no effect, and all things will work normally?

Thanks again
    Sunny

5. SunnyMav

SunnyMav New Member

I am not sure I did anything to save it, but as someone told me that since my Cydia (on it's home screen) shows SHSH 4.1, 4.3, 5, 5.0.1, 5.1 written on the top of the screen then I am ok? Is that true, or was there something that I had to do as well? Anyway to check it?
    And since I didn't do anything specific to save it, so that means I can't upgrade to 5.0.1 now? or even 5.0?

Thanks,
    Sunny

6. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Yes, PkgBackup will save all your Cydia apps and settings.
    There are some older tweaks that are not supported on the newer iOS, but from my experience, someone out there has built a version that will work on 5.0.1 and beyond.

First thing you should do is go to manage account in Cydia.
    It will ask you to sign in with either Facebook or Google, IIRC.
    This will give you easy access to your available apps once you rejailbreak. You should not have to repurchase anything if you create that account.
    I would also suggest when setting up PkgBackup that you save backups to Dropbox, not addressbook/contacts.
    That is in case you have issues with the jailbreak/restore/backup.
    Keeps that safe, independent from device.

7. SunnyMav

SunnyMav New Member

Anything on this fijiman?
    Since you pointed out I read that Cydia stores blobs on its own every time it logs on. so as I said my Cydia home screen shows "SHSH iOS 4.3.4, 4.3.5, 5.0.1, 5.1". So am safe, and upgradation to 5.0.1 good to go?

And being a newbie, forgive for asking this, can anyone confirm if I connect to iTunes to upgrade my firmware, I will be able to upgrade to 5.0.1 - not 5.1 (because iTunes alert says there is a new version, iOS 5.1, available, and do I want to upgrade to that or not). And then do the re-jailbreak & restore from PKGBackup etc. So in other words does iTunes give the option of upgrading to the any of the available iOS firmawares?
    If its not iTune, how do I get 5.0.1?

Thanks,
    Sunny

8. SunnyMav

SunnyMav New Member

Thanks for your input, will save the backup on Dropbox.
    As for the account on Cydia; if I sign in even now, then all the apps purchased before will become part of this account too? Or is it only for purchases from this point onwards? And what about those free apps or tweaks, do they have anything to do with this account?

And your thoughts on my 5.0.1 upgrade question above will be appreciated.

regards,
    Sunny

9. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Once you sign up in Cydia, it should recognize all past and future purchases.
    Go to manage account:

46b5c2e5-1d55-4b56.jpg

It will ask you to sign in either via Facebook or Google and take you to a screen with an "installable purchases" tab.
    Click on installable purchases and u should see something like this:

46b5c2e5-1df3-c34b.jpg

PkgBackup will save all your free tweaks and settings, while having a Cydia account will save all the purchased stuff.

First thing you do after u re jailbreak is go int the account, sign in and go to installable purchases.
    Install PkgBackup and your good to go!

Don't worry about your free stuff not showing up in installable purchases, if u set up PkgBackup correctly, ALL tweaks will load when you launch....

10. snowtrooper1966

Gold

This is the easiest guide I know of:

http://www.iclarified.com/jailbreak/iPhone4/firmware.php

You cannot just click upgrade in iTunes or it will put you on 5.1

You will be redirecting iTunes via shift/restore key combo to a custom firmware you have downloaded to your computer, all outlined in the link above.

11. SunnyMav

SunnyMav New Member

Thanks snowtrooper, u have been a great help. One more thing; how can I save the Notes & text msgs that I have on my phone?
    Contacts are not an issue as I have them synced with my exchange server so that I'll get back;
    pictures I have manually copied to my computer;
    apps & media we have already discussed so that I will do again;
    so that leaves my 1)text messages, &2) Notes: anyway to save them?
    Notes I can still manage but it's the SMS/text messages that am concerned about.
    I do have the backup & I think msgs are stored in there but I can't restore from backup as it will take it back to 4.1, so any other way?

Thanks
    Sunny

12. snowtrooper1966

Gold

If u use iCloud, there is an option to save notes:

46b5c2e5-a26f-dc2d.jpg

Not sure about txts, sorry.
    I usually delete those as I go, so never worry about saving them.

Once you rejailbreak, u should be safe to restore from backup.
    The backup does not include firmware info, IIRC.....

13. SunnyMav

SunnyMav New Member

Thank you for your prompt reply. I think am all set so will b upgrading tomorrow night so let's hope all goes well, God willing.
    Will let u know.
    TC
    Sunny

14. snowtrooper1966

Gold

So you've purchased PkgBackup, have Dropbox and checked to make sure your backup is saved there?

15. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

This discussion is kinda moot: SHSH blobs are absolutely useless on iOS 5.x.

So there is no way to upgrade to 5.0.1. Only to 5.1, and that means a tethered jailbreak right now.

Michael

16. snowtrooper1966

Gold

17. SunnyMav

SunnyMav New Member

I have the PKGBackup and have taken a backup, and also have DROPBOX setup, but I was thinking of not restoring that backup for my tweaks etc. as I will do them again.
    Other than that I was able to save my SHSH blob, and now intend to first make a custom ipsw and then upgrade,& then jailbreak.

There's one final thing though,am a little confused about the changes to the HOST file, so do u have any idea about it?
    On some places it says remove all Apple references (or put a # sign before the 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com entry),& on some it asks to put this 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com as an entry! Am a kittle confused which it is because am not sure which ones going to Apple & which to Cydia?

Thanks

18. snowtrooper1966

Gold

^As Tinman eloquently stated, our SHSH discussion seems moot, unless something has changed recently. I'm not up to full speed on the JB tech for anything other than my 4S.
    That method should not work on a iPhone 4 running iOS 5 and beyond, unless again, something has charged in the available methods for your device.
    Things change repaidly, and I did find the below link, albeit a month or so old.

You can do a tethered jailbreak described here:

http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=20519

That means you will have to connect to a PC to activate the jailbreak every time your battery runs down or you reboot.

Sorry if I gave you false hope, was not my intention....

19. SunnyMav

SunnyMav New Member

Just successfuly upgraded to 5.0.1 using tiunyumbrella for SHSH saving, then using iFaith for making a custom ipsw, and then into the pwned DFU mode, and finally restore to the custom 5.0.1 firmware file (ipsw) created earlier.
    Now to try the jailbreak. Will give u an update on how it goes. Thanks

20. SunnyMav

SunnyMav New Member

Hi, just to update on our discussion.
    Succesfully restored to 5.0.1 as mentioned above. Then ran into slight (known) problem with the signals - only one signal showed for my carrier, although the signals were not actually weak. This, as I read, is a possible problem with the 02.10.04 baseband/modem-firmware. Anyways, then I restored/upgraded to 5.1 (manually through shift restore) which upgraded my baseband to 04.12.01
    Restored back to custom ipsw 5.0.1 (manually through shift restore). Signals were back to full strength. And 5.0.1 worked well too. Restored from my backup and got all my texts/notes back. Did a sync and got all my media/songs on my phone.
    And last night successfuly did a jailbreak on my 5.0.1, and installed tweaks, etc. So all in all, all is good by the Grace of God.

So I guess SHSH blobs are not entirely useless on 5.x.x, because they worked wonders in my case; and also there is a way to upgrade to 5.0.1 and jailbreak it too!

Thanks for all your help snowtrooper, and for referring me to iClarified sight for jailbreak info.

Take care,
    Sunny