Syncing new contact to iPhone sub group automatically...PHEW

hitnrun

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Northern California
I have three groups set up for my contacts on my iPhone. Work, Personal, and All. All groups is the default, the other two are mine.

Here is the problem. When I create a new contact on my iPhone, it automatically saves it to the All groups directory. It does not give me the choice to sync it to either work or personal. I have to manually do this from either me.com or one of my MobileME enabled computers. If I add several contacts, I occasionally forget to put them into a sub group on one of my computers later on, so they never make it to a sub group on my phone. When I need that new contact, I have to search manually through the hundreds of contacts in ALL Groups just to find the one that I added recently because it was never put into either work or personal. Not the biggest problem in the world, but it seems like there should be a way to fix this.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
In the Info tab under Sync Address Book Contacts in iTunes when I have my iPhone connected, there is a checkbox that says "Put new contacts created on this iPhone into the group:" and I can choose a group. Do you see this option?

contacts.jpg

hitnrun

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Northern California
Well, since I do all my syncing through Mobile Me, I have the sync address book contacts section turned off and it is grayed out. If I leave that on, it will create a duplicate library of contacts on my phone. I did figure out that if you create a new contact from inside one of the sub groups, the contact is automatically assigned to that group and synced accordingly across the spectrum. However, if you want to add one from recent calls or something, it won't do it unless you right the number down and then create a new contact from the desired sub group. Really lame.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Create the new contact in that group. I'm restoring my phone so can't show screen shots, but in your address book while in the group you want to add the contact to, click the plus button, put in the information and save. It should save the contact to the group you wanted and it will also show up in the "All Contacts" category.

If you are adding the contact via another method...you cannot specify which group to put it in, but there are apps that will allow you to put contacts in a group on your phone as well as create new groups as you wish. For this I use an app called ABContacts.

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
How hard would it be to put a simple 'Group' selector for Contacts as they have a 'Calendar' for Calendar? It certainly would make the UI more consistent!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Also, if you want to use a number from recent calls, without adding the new contact from there, you can do it without writing down the number. When in recent calls tap create new contact and copy number to the clipboard. Cancel out of entering the new contact.

Then you can paste in the number in a new contact created from scratch. I'll do anything to avoid writing something down on actual paper. ;)

--
Mike