Syncing Photos and Media from External HD?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shanezam203, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member
    Bronze

I have a Western Digital my book live wired in my network and my Photos, Movies and Music are on it, can I sync with that vs. media on the computer I am syncing my iPhone and iPad with?

Thank you,
    Shane

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I have a similar setup, except I only keep my music on my external WD drive. You must let iTunes know that you're going to keep your media on an external drive. You do this by going to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > iTunes Media folder location, click on the Change… button, then navigate to the folder on your external WD drive:

ex1.jpg
    Note that this will not automatically add all the files you have in that folder to your iTunes Library… you must then go to iTunes > File > Add to Library... and then add the files to iTunes. It will help speed things up if you select (highlight) several or all of the folders at once.

Once you have done this, connect your iPhone or iPad and sync. Your music and movie files from your external drive will end up on your iPhone.

This article explains how to do the same for photos.

I would have answered sooner if I had seen your post sooner; next time you may get a reply quicker if you post on the subforum for your iPhone model (iPhone 6, 5s, 5… whichever you have). Unless you're actually working with the original iPhone.