Syncing Two iPhones with one iTunes

1. GolfNut

GolfNut New Member Bronze

Can you sync two different phones with the same iTunes installation without overwriting each others contacts and other information? Will iTunes recognize them as different phones and create separate backups/syncs?

Thanks.

P.S. Happy New Year all. I will enjoy this year better with my iPhone...lol.

2. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot Gold

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. karllf

karllf Member Bronze

i have 4 iPhones and 1 iTunes on a vista laptop and it works just great but you need to setup each phone in iTunes like favorites and pictures folders and so on iTunes will remember each phone

5. GolfNut

Thanks rx..., but I don't think this is will do it for me. I should have mentioned I'm using a Win XP box. I figured iTunes would work the same regardless of whether you're using a Mac or Win PC. Looking at the thread you referenced it seems iTunes doesn't necessarily recognize two separate phones, rather multiple options you select and deselect depending on which phone you're syncing at the time. Is that correct?

What I was hoping to find was to set iTunes up for multiple profiles.

6. GolfNut

karllf:

Are you saying if I plug in the second iPhone that iTunes will automatically recognize it as a different phone and allow separate options without overwriting the first phone's options and data?

Thanks.

7. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot Gold

I don't think so. You'll have to set up a new group of each - and then you sync each group to each phone. Make sense?

Phone A syncs w/contacts group A
    Phone B syncs w/contacts group B

and so on...

8. GolfNut

I think I have it figured out now, with your help. Now I just need to find that threat about multiple playlists/swaptunes.

Thanks.

9. irving.sandoval

irving.sandoval New Member

2 iPhones 1 iTunes

without making another session on my mac, with 2 iPhones, 1 session on mac, 1 iTunes, 1 library, 1 iTunes account and so on, how can i sync the apps, i can turn it manually the music, photos and all that, but i have 2 questions.
    1)with 1 iTunes acct, the apps that i buy will it work on both iPhones?
    2)in case number 1 doesn't work, how can i have both acct in iTunes, so when i sync my iPhone the apps of my wife wont sync with mine and viceversa.
    thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
  10. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot Gold

You should be fine. Just make sure you're logged into iTunes under the account you want to use. Then manually manage the applications per phone. This is how I handle my wife's and my phone. Also works great using mobile me this way.

11. sstalk

sstalk Member Bronze

My issue is completely different musical tastes on two ipods (one touch one phone) from one iTunes account. I tried to set up something that I found and I hosed my settings of the synced music for the touch. We're talking about 3000 songs that I really don't want to go back through one album at a time again. I haven't synced the touch since we got the phone. Any advice on how I can fix this. Ps. I'm using iTunes on Windows Xp.

12. Swagger

Swagger New Member Gold

Why not just use separate playlists to manage what you want on the Touch and what you want on the regular iPod? Setup one set of playlists for iPod A when attached and a second set for iPod B when attached.

13. shutter13

shutter13 Zealot Gold

That is exactly how I handle syncing 3 different ipods/iPhone on one iTunes account. Works pretty well.

14. The Apple

The Apple Zealot Gold

I hope I am not misunderstanding, but it sounds to me like you need to set up two separate playlists. One playlist for the touch, one for the phone. Create the playlists and name them whatever you would like to name them. Then drag and drop the music you want to be on each device into the playlist. Then whenever you sync the ipod, you sync the playlist for the ipod. Then the same for the phone. I hope this helps.

Edit: I see other people answered this question. I thought is was unanswered.

15. burgerboy117

burgerboy117 New Member

hey, if you have a jailbroken 1st gen. iPhone and buy a 4g iPhone, will you be able to keep your 1st gen. and still download free apps then transfer them over to the 4g?, but afterwards delete them off the 1st gen. as not to cram it with data and apps?

16. Guy1

Guy1 New Member