Syncing your iPod/iPhone to a new iTunes library? Look here first.

kenny pants

Oct 20, 2009
i had an account that i signed in with using AOL, but somehow in my computer upgrade i missed the point of creating an Apple id. I created a new one but obviously that won't work because it was created post-purchase. So yes - two accounts - one with AOL and the other newly created Apple id.

Thanks

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ

Any windows 7 users know why this path below is not visible from windows explorer even when I have "view hidden files" selected in the folder options?

• OSX: Users/UserName/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup
  • XP: C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup
  • Vista/Win7: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\AppleComputer\MobileSync\Backup

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i'll double-check that location. at the time i wrote that i may have just assumed that's where it would be.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
that directory should be correct. have you synced your iPhone with windows 7 yet? If not, the MobileSync folder won't be there. So try creating it, then create "backup", and finally put the backup file in there.

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
that directory should be correct. have you synced your iPhone with windows 7 yet? If not, the MobileSync folder won't be there. So try creating it, then create "backup", and finally put the backup file in there.
Yeah, it was correct, for some reason the folder changes didn't take place until I restarted my computer. I moved the backup files from my old computer into the new backup folder but I have not synced yet. I will give that a shot tonight. Will iTunes just sync the iPhone to the latest backup? Thanks again for your help!

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
one more question....sorry! :) I copied my backup file into the new C:/ directory and I haven't synced the iPhone yet, quick question, do I need to move anything else over to ensure I get my playlists that were created before. I am assuming they will be in the backup file but just want to make sure. I know Apple is finicky with some of this stuff so don't want to miss anything. Thanks.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
if you transferred your whole "iTunes music" folder, your playlists should be there. Worse comes to worse, you can always export them from your old iTunes, and import to your new one.

jdubletrouble

Feb 20, 2010
My (unlocked & jailbroken) iPhone was sync to my old macbook (which I already sold) so I do not have any back up files of my iPhone. Now I have a new macbook that I am trying to sync my iPhone to without losing any datas (contacts, notes, messages, pictures, videos, music, apps and a lot of non-purchased apps and music). I can back up this iPhone on my new macbook but I do not want to try to risk restoring my iPhone to sync it to this new laptop and hoping that the back up will actually back up my iPhone. I checked through my files (Library>Application Support>Mobile Sync>Back Up>2ab82f9c9aa17448a28f9b7f2dc60183c58d8before9) on my macbook and I THINK my iPhone was backed up as file on my new macbook. But I was curious if this method would work or not. And if not, is there another way that I can my iPhone to sync on my new macbook without my old iTunes/computer without losing any data?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
the only thing iTunes will transfer to your computer is Contacts, and app data (saved games, SMS, preferences, etc). So music, videos, and the like will be erased.

If you need everything saved, you will need to get thrid party software like Senuti.

jdubletrouble

Feb 20, 2010
Well the only thing I'm really concerned about is my contacts, settings, and cydia/xxxxxxxxx apps and setting. I don't care about my music because I can always put those songs on. The camera pictures are easy to retrieve so I'm not too concerned about that.

So even if I back it up and do the restore and back up on iTunes, it won't restore as it exactly how it was to be? I would have to re-download all the cydia apps and such?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Your jailbreak and unlock will not be affected, and your Cydia apps will remain. But to be absolutely safe, I'd try
out aptbackup.

To make sure your contacts sync, see steps 4 and 5 in the original post.

pomozki

Bronze
Feb 28, 2009
Phoenix
thanks for all that - but I have backed up my music and can import it into iTunes - all I need to do now is get my playlists, either off the phone or from the backed-up files - why is it nobody is offering any info about this!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i believe your playlists are restored if you grab everything inside your "iTunes" folder. Specifically, the iTunes library XML file.

Alternatively, if your old library is still working, you can export playlists by going to File->Library->Export playlists, and then importing them into the new library.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
A friend of mine got his 3G while he still had an XP laptop. Subsequently, he's moved to a MBP and has been maintaining the phone successfuly for several months but never "officially" synced his apps since iTunes said something about erasing the data. Consequently, he's never been able to see or re-arrange his apps on the MBP. Is it safe for him to let the MBP/iTunes access his apps on the phone without risk of loss? My thought was that the App Store would still have records of his purchases but I'm guessing he'd lose any app data currently on the phone.

Any comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

AdvMANYTHANKSance

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
You can definitely redownload the apps from the app store as long as you're signed into the same account that purhased them. But keeping the saved data will be tricky. If you want to keep that, you'll have to find the iPhone backup from the XP computer, and put it in the corresponding folder on the mbp. The problem is any other settings you've changed since that backup will be wiped out.

So if the most important thing to you is your app data, the best thing to do would probably be to sync to your XP computer one last time to backup your app data, then saved that iPhone backup file, and move it to your MBP.

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
This thread was very informative, but I still have one question.

I had a computer crash and am transferring all my apps through iTunes ("transfer purchases from iPhone).

I just want to be sure that if I save the backup, I can keep all of my apps, even the ones that have been removed from the app store since I downloaded them?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
If you can save the iTunes music folder from your old computer, it will include all of your old apps. But if your comouter's dead the trick will be getting to that folder. How did it crash?

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
blue screen of death.

I went back to iTunes and transferred purchases from phone to iTunes. I will have to rebuild my playlists and stuff (I think). I just don't want to lose some of the apps that were taken down by Apple.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Ok. A BSOD may not mean the end of the world. For instance, you may be able to boot to safe mode and recover that iTunes folder.

Do you recall what the BSOD said.?

GeorgeC

Apr 20, 2010
Deleted iPhone/iTunes library info

Ok, so I recently purchased an external hard drive to free up some space on my computers internal drive that was about half a song away from capacity. First thing, and only thing, I did was to go to Apples online how-to to properly transfer my iTunes files over and "delete" them on my C: drive. I did EXACTLY as they specified and when i went into my iTunes library.. which is now in drive E:.. my library was wiped clean. :D All of the info is there.. music, apps, movies, etc.. but my playlists and iPhone setup is gone. So now that i try to sync my iPhone to my iTunes library, it thinks i'm trying to sync it with a NEW iTunes library and wants to erase all of my info on my iPhone. :dft008:surprised I'm going crazy trying to figure out how to either undo this or get around this! I have almost two years of notes, about 3000 pics, videos on qik video, passwords and personal info on other apps, and on and on. PLEEEEEASE help me find a way around this! :(