Syncing your iPod/iPhone to a new iTunes library? Look here first.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC

Hello,

I have tried what you wrote and I've also tried to implement some of the comments, but I still can't get it to work. I have a new macbookpro and I made the iTunes folder and iPhone backup, then copied it to their respective places on the new mac, but the iTunes cannot see the files. I went to the preferences and gave the location manually and even ticked in copy files... but the iTunes still cannot see my files that I can see physically stored on the HDD. So everytime I want to sync it wants to delet everything from the iPhone. Can anyone please help? Thank you in advance!

Ok, so try this on your new mac:

-Go to iTunes.app in Finder (/Applications/iTunes.app)
-Hold "option" and double-click iTunes.app
-You will be prompted to select an iTunes library. Select "Choose Library..."
-Navigate to your iTunes folder, and select your "iTunes Library.itl" then click "open"

That SHOULD bring up iTunes just like you had it on your old mac.

Mike N.

Sep 17, 2011
If my computer broke down and I had to get a new one, is there anything I can do to avoid losing everything (since I couldn't save anything) or am I screwed? Thanks a lot!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Ouch. Your only hope for recovering data from it is to find some kind of data recovery software. I haven't personally used any, but most of them should have trial periods to see if they'll work for you.

Mike N.

Sep 17, 2011
Ouch. Your only hope for recovering data from it is to find some kind of data recovery software. I haven't personally used any, but most of them should have trial periods to see if they'll work for you.
The hard drive is long gone now. Crap.

schindyguy

Bronze
Jun 9, 2010
  • 2) Perform a Backup of your iPhone/iPod, and save the backup file to secondary media. If you haven't synced your device in a while, do this in iTunes so it will save your most recent settings and data. This file includes all of the data on your phone that iTunes needs to recover it to the exact condition it was in at the time of the last sync. This includes (but is not limited to) App settings and data, SMS conversations, Springboard layout, iPod/iPhone Settings, etc. You can find the file here:
I have a few questions I hope you can help me with:

1. Do these instructions also work exactly the same with iPad?
2. Hard Drive A was crashing so I reinstalled windows 7 and iTunes on a new Hard Drive B. I am able to connect to A and get my backup folder over to B but I want to get all my settings over as well. I haven't backed up my iPhone or iPad for some time (sigh) but I know I have synced my iPhone and iPad with A. So is there anyway to restore the settings, layout, sms, etc by copying files from A? Or somehow pushing the data from my iPhone to B?
3. If I am able to get A to boot into windows, should I only try to backup and not sync (and then transfer the backup data over)? Or both sync and backup?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Yes, everything works the same way with an iPad. The backup process is part of syncing, so if you have synced with iTunes recently, your settings and data were saved at that time as well. Your backup folder for your iPad should contain all of your settings, so if you can retrieve it from your original computer, that should be all you need.

Anyway, I don't think transferring your backups is strictly necessary as long as you transfer your iTunes Library over properly. It's more of a precaution. If your library is migrated to the new computer, I think iTunes will just make a new backup on the new computer when you sync your iPad.

schindyguy

Bronze
Jun 9, 2010
Anyway, I don't think transferring your backups is strictly necessary as long as you transfer your iTunes Library over properly. It's more of a precaution. If your library is migrated to the new computer, I think iTunes will just make a new backup on the new computer when you sync your iPad.
I have now moved over my old iTunes folder (music, videos and apps), moved over pictures, authorized my new iTunes, transferred purchases over from my iPhone and iPad to the new iTunes.
When I connect the iPad now and select sync on Apps, I get the "Are you sure you want to sync apps? all your data will be replaced form this iTunes library" message. If I press yes wont it get rid of all my email settings, app layout, etc on the iPad (thats what I have been trying to avoid)?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Ok, then maybe it does need the backup transferred after all.

schindyguy

Bronze
Jun 9, 2010
Ok, then maybe it does need the backup transferred after all.
When I click Restore for the iPad, it asks if I want to "back up the settings for the iPad "XXXX" before restoring the software?"

Should I select Cancel, Back Up or don't Back Up?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
weird. Not sure why it wants you to restore if everything was transferred over. Worst case scenario, you should be able to restore and set it up from the backup you copied over from your old computer.

schindyguy

Bronze
Jun 9, 2010
weird. Not sure why it wants you to restore if everything was transferred over. Worst case scenario, you should be able to restore and set it up from the backup you copied over from your old computer.
I decided to click on Update on the iPad and it asked me if I want to backup my iPad and I clicked yes. It updated the software and kept all my settings on it. Now when I click sync, it still says 'iTunes is synced to another library. would like you to erase and sync with this library'. What should I do?

EDIT: Also, when I go to edit>Prefereces Devices tab, it says it has a backup today of my iPad so would I be safe in restoring my iPad and then using the backup from today?

EDIT 2: So I got anxious and clicked Restore. It asked me again if I wanted to backup so I did and it completed the restore. After it connected, I still get the "The iPad "XXX" is synced with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this iPad and sync with this iTunes library?" So now I have lost all the settings and I am just manually syncing apps with the new iTunes library and I will have to setup my email and various other accounts again...

So how can I avoid this same thing from happening on my iPhone? I need to transfer all the settings and configuration to the new iTunes.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
So you cannot restore with the backup you transferred from your old computer?

Keane16

Oct 2, 2011
Hi acosmichippo,

Thanks for the write up.

I am still having an issue. Quick backstory…

I wanted to do a 'clean' Lion install. So in Snow Leopard I backed up my iPhone in iTunes. Then backed my iTunes CONTENT manually (not the XML etc..) - I did this by copying the contents of /User/Music/iTunes Media/ to an external hard drive, I also created a backup of Address Book. (I just completely forgot the need to copy the iPhone backups).

I then formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Snow Leopard from disk - so in essense I had a clean computer. I then installed Lion. I now had a clean Lion install.

I then placed my backed up iTunes content in the 'Automatically Add to iTunes' folder. All apps, music, books etc was then transferred into iTunes automatically. I also Imported my Address Book backup.

… now my issue!

I plugged in my iPhone, and it gave me the expected 'the iPhone is synced to another library' message. I cancelled the sync.

I backed up the iPhone. This went through ok.

At this point I realised I was in a pickle and scoured the internet and found this guide.

I followed the guides instructions, and as far as I could see I'd done all the steps already (the one - and possibly major? - difference was that I didn't just point iTunes to the media I copied, I added it via the 'Add to iTunes Automatically' folder). All that was left to do was click Sync. I clicked Sync and it only Sync'd pictures. I looked at the various tabs within iTunes (Music, Apps etc) and none of them were selected except Photos.

If I check the box to Sync apps I get the message 'Are you sure you want to sync apps? All existing apps and their data on the iPhone “iPhone” will be replaced with apps from this iTunes library.' Which I don't want to do - I really don't want to lose my app data!

So where now? I'm a bit stuck.. any help appreciated!

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
I transferred my iTunes account to iTunes on New Mac mini. Backed up iPad, iPhone 3gs and iPhone 4. Synced iPad and 3gs with iTunes, and it screwed up my App folders. I restored from backup and resynced. Everything was fine. Tried the same thing with iPhone 4, but every time I try to resync after restoring from backup, it takes all my Apps out of folders. Any reason why it worked fine on iPad and 3gs and it is being stubborn on iPhone 4?
Edit: Sounds like I might the same problem as Keane16.

Caitlin

Oct 12, 2011
Hi there,
There is probably a very simple solution to this, but even my somewhat techie brain is too scared to hit sync...
Okay. My issue is:
I have decided to create a new iTunes library on my pc.
Currently running along side the existing library but I intend to remove the old one once the iPhone is synced.
The music An videos are all in the new library that's fine, it's the settings and data on my phone that I am worried about.
Being a new library on the same pc will I have any issues syncing or will iTunes automatically source the previous iPhone backup?
Hope this makes sense!
Thanks in advance!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Not sure, I haven't tried it. But iPhone backups are kept in a separate spot, so I would imagine iTunes should see your old backups just fine. To check, open preferences, and go to the backup devices tab. The backups should be listed there.