Syncing your iPod/iPhone to a new iTunes library? Look here first.

Caitlin

Oct 12, 2011
If for example it doesn't work, would syncing the phone with the existing iTunes library restore it back again...?
I guess I will just have to test it out later!
Fingers crossed...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
If for example it doesn't work, would syncing the phone with the existing iTunes library restore it back again...?
I guess I will just have to test it out later!
Fingers crossed...
yeah, you should always be able to restore ans set it up from a backup with the previous library.

Ritarella

Oct 12, 2011
Hello everybody, very interesting and useful discussion, thanks. I read the 8 pages and found even somebody in my situation (moving from Windows 7 to iMac). I have put on my external drive all the needed folders and I am (nearly) ready to move them on the Mac... However I notice that pictures are hardly ever mentioned in the various posts. Are the pictures backed up? In which of the folders described in the first post? The 1500 pictures/videos on my iPhone 4 are just about the most important thing I have on it, and I really want to transfer them "easily" and safely.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
pictures should be backed up in your iPhone backup file in step 2. Although I would encourage you to sync them to your computer first so they are not just in your iPhone/iPhone backup.

Ritarella

Oct 12, 2011
pictures should be backed up in your iPhone backup file in step 2. Although I would encourage you to sync them to your computer first so they are not just in your iPhone/iPhone backup.
Thanks! I regularly move them, by manually drag and drop them from iPhone as "digital camera" device to a folder on my computer. I have never dared sync them :oops: And I am not entirely sure the drag and dropping from computer to iPhone would work, so I know I have them on my computer but I wanted to be sure I could have them back on my iPhone.

I am doing all of this to upgrade to iOS5, it better be worth it ;)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, copying them to your computer is all I meant by "sync". Putting them back on is easy as long as you have them on your computer.

Eric22

Oct 13, 2011
Sorry if this has already been said, but to transfer my iPhone backup from one computer to another, I just need to copy it from the original computer and put it in the same folder path on the new computer? Thanks!

Ritarella

Oct 12, 2011
Thanks acosmichippo :) I will try and do it tonight... Just one last question, as contacts are as important as my pics! Step 5 of the first post has to be done when? The first time I connect the iPhone to the new computer and after all the other folders have been moved?
As I said in my previous post, I am doing this to upgrade to iOS5 and I will take the chance to start using the sync over the iMac... Will I do the upgrade before or after this? Thanks

Ritarella

Oct 12, 2011
The sync to the new iMac went very well, I haven't lost anything (so it seems, all photos, contacts, messages etc are in there. I am not sure about the apps, but I didn't care much as 99% were free, so I can just get them again later if I see they are missing), thanks to the instructions at the first page of this post (y). Now I'm about to update to iOS5...

Cpd

Oct 16, 2011
Hello, my hard drive crashed with iTunes on it. Tried to recover HD no luck. My iPhone 4 still has all my apps, music contacts, etc. I am especially interested in restoring app data. I will be using a PC with Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit. Can you help me please, Charlie

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC

Connect your iPhone with another computer (do not sync), right click on it, and select "back up". iTunes will save your app data and contacts. It will not back up your music, but for that there are third party options available. Are you on windows or Mac?

Cpd

Oct 16, 2011
Thanks , how do I get iTunes to match iPhone data. Restore maybe?. Could you expand please. Again thanks

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yes, you may have to restore and re-setup your phone from the backup you just made.

tate

Bronze
Jun 6, 2009
I have a problem and not sure where to look. My daughter has a touch and locked it and forgot the password, We think she typed in a wrong letter and did pay attention.
So I cant restore it cause the original computer with iTunes is on its last leg. I know I can do it but can't find it. How do I get my Mac the master iTunes account so I can restore her touch? Thanks.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
You can't make your Mac's iTunes account the "master" for that iPod touch. What you will have to do is restore the ipod (wiping all its data), transfer everything from the old computer as explained in the OP, and then restore the iPod from its last backup mentioned in step #2 (unless that backup has the password saved to it, in which case you will have to just work with a fully wiped iPod).

tate

Bronze
Jun 6, 2009
Thanks. I thought that's what I was going to have to do. My daughter had gotten the putter all jacked up. I'm trying to fix it now to get it moving.

casscivi

Nov 2, 2011
I need some serious help! I had iTunes with all my music and everything on another computer that crashed and became unfixable. I bought a new pc and installed iTunes on it, using sharepod to get all my music from my iPhone on to my computer and get it onto my iTunes. I authorized this new computer on my account and logged in using my Apple id but iTunes will not sync my iPhone. I even updated my iPhone and this did nothing. Every time I click sync it simply says "preparing to sync" and "finishing sync" within five seconds of eachother and does nothing. From the update my iPhone has zero songs on it and I can't sync a single one! My pictures are still there but no apps will sync either. I've wasted hours looking for solutions and I'm at the end of my rope. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!