T mobile data plans and speed

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ehaser

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
I've got the total internet package and was wondering what kind of speed you everyone is getting via edge...

If I use the old apn.
wap.voicestream.com i get avg speeds of 180 to 200kbps

when I use the internet2.voicestream.com (which technical support told me to use with the total internet plan) I only get speeds of around 130kbps

Why would I pay for total access when I can just get the tzone plan and use wap.voicestream.com? It doesn't make any sense.

Nikos

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Long Island, NY
www.nikostoscani.com
How did you get wap.voicestream.net to work? I cancelled my T-Zones, because internet wasn't working with my $5.99 plan, and switched to the $19.99 internet2.voicestream.net plan today. Internet now works, but if I could get it to work without paying an extra $19.99 per month, that would be really nice. Did you have AT&T then switch to T-Mobile?

Also, where can I test my speed to report? Should I use a regular speed test site in Safari?

Kricket

Sep 11, 2007
if you get the 19.99 plan, you can use either the wap or the internet2 apn - all the 19.99 plan does is open up the ports so that you can use tmo's network without the use of a proxy

for different regions, different apn's work faster - for me, the wap.voicestream.com apn is faster than the internet2 apn (so i use the wap apn with my total internet plan)

right now - there IS some sort of work around for the 5.99 plan although i don't have too many details - all it does is allow you to use proxy settings with the iPhone

heres the thread over at hackint0sh that discusses it:

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6365

i haven't tried this so ymmv - i upgraded to the 19.99 plan because i could make use of the hotspots (i figure, you cant beat unlimited data + free wifi hotspots at that price)

Apr 27, 2009
Guys Guys! Edge does not have the speed so one apn is little better than other.
I have a Tmobile Sim in a Unlocked iPhone.
I use:
APN:hiptop.t-mobile.com
Username: dummy
password: dummy
I can surf the web using Safari on my iPhone.
Then I took out the Sim and put into an AT&T express internet card Globe Trotter express. I called AT&T and unlocked the Express card.
used the above info and I can surf from my macbook pro.
$1 a day only for the days I use it.