T-Mobile Offering 250MB of Free Cellular with New iPads

Discussion in 'iPad Air' started by chris, Oct 22, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

This is absolutely crazy, in a good way. T-Mobile pricing for the iPad Air and iPad mini shows the 200MB option as free. Past that, the middle and upper-tiers are not terrific.

If you don't use cellular often, but want the flexibility of having 200MB per month, seems like a great option. I've purchased AT&T models in the past and never used cellular. Having free data is awesome and has me considering T-Mobile.

Only drawback is lack of LTE in my area. But again, free!

Anyone considering cellular and is T-Mobile on your radar now?

#1 chris, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. soothsayer

soothsayer New Member

On lte wouldn't you eat that up in a few days on the iPad

Sent using iCafe app

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

If you are an infrequent user of cellular, it's nice to have free MB in your back pocket. I think the appeal is for people who don't use cellular or use infrequently. The convenience of being signed up, having access seem worth it.

4. soothsayer

soothsayer New Member

Just out of curiosity what are the lte speed like in your neck of the woods in uk it's between 24-30mb download

Sent using iCafe app

5. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

I am now considering t mobile and a cellular iPad!

6. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

this is interesting... i will have to keep this in mind. I've never ordered a cellular iPad since I don't feel like I should have to pay for a data plan on two devices, so this might convince me.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There's no way I'm paying for two data plans. 200 MB is not enough for me and T-Mobile's LTE network is too limited anyway. I'll just keep tethering.

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You rebel, you.

9. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

But if it's free... why not? In a pinch you can still tether if you need to.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Because you have to pay $129 extra for the cellular models and I don't need cellular when I can get a WiFi-only model tether to my phone. I rarely take my iPad off of WiFi anyway.

#10 Europa, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  11. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

How do I get the other 50 MB?

Sent using iCafe app

#11 bballrob, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
  12. Griffinaz

Griffinaz Zealot
    Gold

I am curious if AT&T will continue to honor their grandfathering of those of us with unlimited data plans. They did from my 1 to 2 and then to my 3 so should but I guess I should check into that.

Sent using iCafe app

13. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

I am definitely getting T-Mobile. I always bought the cellular iPad even though I never bought a monthly data plan. There were a few times, over the years, I bought a month of data or fixed data. Regardless, there were always times i could have used it. Throwing away "free" is a bad idea.

If you're a person who buys the cellular iPad without the data plan for emergencies or what-not, the reasoning follows you should also get t-mobile. If you normally bought WiFi only, it probably will make little difference. The fact that T-Mobile (I am in NYC) is not a robust service is not as important to me for data as it is for voice.

My question is how they treat a customers going over the cap. Do you get a warning or do they just bill you for the month if you'r 1MB over?

I also would buy there stock. This company is definitely shaking things up.

#13 richardya, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  14. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

If t-mobile was smart they would absorb the $129 cost of the cellular upgrade in exchange for getting more customers. It makes no sense to spend $129 for a component that probably costs Apple less than ten bucks. Tethering is your friend.

Sent using iCafe app

15. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I was wondering since I have AT&T, if I were to buy the iPad Mini Retina Cellular through AT&T on Apple Store, but then purchase a T-Mobile SIM card for the iPad Mini Retina to take advantage of the 200 MB free data. Would that work?

16. Geo

Geo Member
    Bronze

Yes, T-Mobile is on my radar now!
    The eternal question (and an article or two) about the need for cellular would be appreciated again.
    But free?
    Well, just in case i need it? For email and some browsing; to download the airline boarding pass while on the way to the airport because I left the printed copy on the kitchen table, just quick checks of email between meetings (which I do on my phone which has a much smaller screen?
    Mmmmm? Free sounds good. It will sound better if I get it on their new plan or no money down (or some money down) and only 20-something dollars a month for two years? Oh ya, the radar is active.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, that had been confirmed to work on the iPad Air so it will likely work on the retina mini as well. iPads aren't carrier-locked.

18. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

They may not be carrier locked, but is the hardware inside the device the exact same for all carriers?

Sent using iCafe app

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, all of the models have the same cellular bands. This applies to Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile.

20. Geo

Geo Member
    Bronze

I was just browsing the T-Mobile site and they now offer the 128GB model.
    An article a day or two ago said that they would not be offering the 128GB version. You'll need 299 up front and the rest on their two year plan, but free....ok, let's hold it right there.

Seems that the free that TMobile is talking about is not so free. There had been a few articles around on this misgiving, but it seems new users will have to sign up for the $20 a month plan. That gives you 500Mb but the first 200 will be free.
    Everybody gets something free! But, its locked up in a package that you need to pay for.
    It was a good dream while it lasted.