T-mobile or Cingular (AT&T)

bluedrib

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
The Boot "Louisiana"
so i was just wondering who is the better service provider and wante dto get some opinions. Who do you think is a better service provider of the two? Can you list an example? And im not talking about customer service just service, like dropped calls no reception, is internet slow or not....and after having that provider would you sign-up again knowing what you know now?

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
Well, with T-Mobile I had several dropped calls, since I've been with AT&T the only dropped calls I have are with those who have T-Mobile. I've been very impressed with both my coverage and quality of calls.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
I've had AT&T (Cingular) for 5 years. Never had a problem with service. Plus if you choose AT&T you don't have to unlock your phone and deal with that hassle.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I have had ATT before it was Cingular(can't remember the name though). I have not had any problems with dropped calls and the coverage is great. I don't know about roaming with other carriers, but there is none with ATT.

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
Honestly depends where you live. Where I go to school verizon is the best service and ATT is just a joke with 1-3 bars max. But down in my home town on the weekends and ATT is better.

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
where do you go to school?
Sonora, California. In the town with ATT I get 5 bars but the school is set into the hills with lots of red wood trees so I get bad service. Home town is Pleasanton, California.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I know much of it is related to the phone, but, I am with ATT since the phone release. I was a verizon person before that, I live in salt lake city which is a "saturated" call area by the ATT maps. I get frequent call drops where one or both persons cannot hear the other. About 5% of my calls do not go through when dialed. A co-worker of mine is on T-mobile, she has a cheapie phone, she seldom has dropped calls and she cannot recall the last time a call did not go through. So not first hand experience, but she is a level headed girl that is a heavy phone user.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Based on my experiences with the two companies (I've been with both), here's my recommendation:

If it's good service you want, go with T-Mobile. However if you don't want to deal with the hassles of unlocking (there's a very good chance you'll experience a problem at some time), then stick with ATT.

- John

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
I have been been with both. T-mobile has higher call quality than AT&T; however too many dropped calls and very bad in coverage. AT&T has lower dropped calls and better coverage.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
AT&T by far... If you said verizon or AT&T then I would say we would have a good debate

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
The coverage area determines everything. If you're in a fairly populated location then most likely each will have similar coverages, but if you're on the outskirts you will want to check the coverage maps for both carriers. I've had AT&T for ages, my mom had the giant brick cell phones when they first came out with AT&T, and I love it. I wouldn't think of switching (unless iPhone whatever number) goes to a different carrier).

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Besides the fact AT&T has a 3G network in most metropolian areas, basically...T-mobile is a better value$$ while AT&T has superior signal & devices. Tmobile only runs on gsm 1900 while AT&T runs on gsm 850 & 1900, thus providing an overall better signal.