T-Mobile personally approved my use of T-Zones $5.99 for unlimited internet

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I felt a little dishonest using the T-Zones package for unlimited internet since it was designed for use with lower end phones so I called in to verify the validity of using T-Zones with the iPhone. And...T-Mobile said they're fine with it! No more guilt with T-Zones, it really is unlimited internet for $5.99, just as fast as AT&T's EDGE. So glad I switched to T-Mobile... truly a better company than AT&T IMHO. The $39 cheaper plan for the same features and the 24 hour customer service has been totally worth it. (Also, counter attacking my $175 cancellation fee with AT&T by selling my new free Blackberry Pearl from T-Mobile on eBay, currently bidding at $213.49 with 5 days left in the auction!:))

EDIT: If you wan't to setup T-Zones, you need to do some simple hacking. Go here to learn.

Last edited by a moderator:

BTR

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I felt a little dishonest using the T-Zones package for unlimited internet since it was designed for use with lower end phones so I called in to verify the validity of using T-Zones with the iPhone. And...T-Mobile said they're fine with it! No more guilt with T-Zones, it really is unlimited internet for $5.99, just as fast as AT&T's EDGE. So glad I switched to T-Mobile... truly a better company than AT&T IMHO. The $39 cheaper plan for the same features and the 24 hour customer service has been totally worth it. (Also, counter attacking my $175 cancellation fee with AT&T by selling my new free Blackberry Pearl from T-Mobile on eBay, currently bidding at $213.49 with 5 days left in the auction!):)
this is very interesting news...

i wonder what the difference between the 5.99 plan and the 19.99 plan is.

roadracer516

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
this is very interesting news...

You were right.....the heck with that GPRS crap once you do get it to work. I switched back to the 19.99 plan and will stick there.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I couldn't imagine ANY carrier denying an iPhone service to be honest here. With the kind of momentum the iPhone has had with generating converts amongst the other carriers, it comes as no surprise.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I couldn't imagine ANY carrier denying an iPhone service to be honest here. With the kind of momentum the iPhone has had with generating converts amongst the other carriers, it comes as no surprise.
Well I knew they wouldn't deny service. I was just surprised that they would let me use the $5.99 unlimited Internet plan since it was designed for simply downloading sports scores and polyphonic ringtones on lower end phones. The reason they offer $19.99 internet plans for phones like the Blackberry is because they are capable of downloading large amounts of data (like the iPhone) that a lower end phone could never come close to downloading.

I also think it's funny that the $5.99 plan is just as fast as the $19.99 plan, yet people are still trying to defend using the $19.99 plan. Where's the logic there...

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Well I knew they wouldn't deny service. I was just surprised that they would let me use the $5.99 unlimited Internet plan since it was designed for simply downloading sports scores and polyphonic ringtones on lower end phones. The reason they offer $19.99 internet plans for phones like the Blackberry is because they are capable of downloading large amounts of data (like the iPhone) that a lower end phone could never come close to downloading.

I also think it's funny that the $5.99 plan is just as fast as the $19.99 plan, yet people are still trying to defend using the $19.99 plan. Where's the logic there...
First off, logic on the internet is about as real as the profiles on myspace, that is to say just take it all with a grain of salt. If someone wants to defend paying more money, let them, it just helps foot the bill you're not having to pay on your 5.99 deal. They just want their e-cookie.

Lastly, I'm guessing you had to sign a contract for your data/phone plan? If so, this is why your carrier isn't stressed over your misuse of their service. You are now the cow and they are the farmer. Why would they want to slaughter you for misusing their data plan and eating their sekrit crop? It'd be a bad move considering they can live off the milk-money you'll be feeding them for the next two years...

BTR

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007

interesting...

i talked to a t-mobile person and they told me that the 5.99 plan is a slower rate of speed (limited) as opposed to the 19.99 plan.

its just odd that they would offer the same service for 2 different prices

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
interesting...

i talked to a t-mobile person and they told me that the 5.99 plan is a slower rate of speed (limited) as opposed to the 19.99 plan.

its just odd that they would offer the same service for 2 different prices
What I've learned from this whole experience is that it isn't the rate of speed offered by the T-Zones that is slower since T-Zones uses EDGE just like the $19.99 Blackberry plan. The difference is that T-Mobile has always reserved T-Zones for phones that can only use a limited amount of data - your flip phones and candy bar phones. They've never had to worry about limiting the speed of the internet because they knew that those primitive phones could never use the full potential of EDGE anyway. This is why they feel they can safely charge $5.99 for unlimited Internet because the phones have limited Internet capabilities. They will also call it slow because for those primitive phones, it feels slow because they can barely use anything on the Internet.

What they DIDN'T expect is that someone would hack a smart phone to take advantage of T-Zones. The speed is the same, the only difference is the price. And I THOUGHT that it was slightly dishonest, but after talking to T-Mobile, I realized that it's not. It wasn't designed to be used by smart phones, but as long as T-Mobile doesn't care, then neither do I.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Lastly, I'm guessing you had to sign a contract for your data/phone plan?
Well, the voice plan yes, but I can change my data plan as much as I want. There really is no benefit to the $19.99 plan over the $5.99 plan, I promise. The contract stays the same with the $19.99 plan, it's just $14 more.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
hmmm, so if i order the 5.99 plan online... would it work? :laugh2: i FINALLY got my phone unlocked (im slow with computers).
Umm, yes :) That's the point of this thread. But remember, you have to do some simple hacking. Go here to learn. If you have any trouble, PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:

robby69

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
They are going to be surprised with anything that works for the iPhone. They don't understand it.
AT&T reps don't understand the iPhone either.

I called AT&T to see if I could get a gophone balance credited to my pay as you go iPhone plan. (Of course they will not transfer $ balances, but I thought it was worth a try)

Rep said I couldn't have an iPhone on a prepaid plan. I gave her my mobile number and said look for yourself.

She said she was going to bring my account to the attention of her supervisor, since ALL iPhones need to be under post-paid contracts. She again repeated that there is no such thing as a prepaid iPhone.

I told her thanks for all her wonderful customer service skills and hung up. geeze :laugh2:

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
AT&T reps don't understand the iPhone either.

I called AT&T to see if I could get a gophone balance credited to my pay as you go iPhone plan. (Of course they will not transfer $ balances, but I thought it was worth a try)

Rep said I couldn't have an iPhone on a prepaid plan. I gave her my mobile number and said look for yourself.

She said she was going to bring my account to the attention of her supervisor, since ALL iPhones need to be under post-paid contracts. She again repeated that there is no such thing as a prepaid iPhone.

I told her thanks for all her wonderful customer service skills and hung up. geeze :laugh2:
This is the very reason I dropped AT&T. When they hear that you have an iPhone, they immediately start telling you about all your restrictions. T-Mobile treats iPhone people just like they have any other phone with all the same privileges.

metarot

Oct 5, 2007
differences between 5.99 & 19.99

With the 5.99, you have to specify the proxy and you are limited in the ports that you can connect to. For instance, you can't get to port 81 with the 5.99 plan, or any non-standard email port. Plus whenever you tether, you have to specify the proxy on the tethering device. Supposedly, file sizes are limited to 1MB in some markets with the 5.99 plan. ( see http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/T-Mobile_Data )

One big advantage of the 19.99 plan is that you get unlimited use of T-Mobile Hotspots, which can be a lot of fun with the iPhone.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
With the 5.99, you have to specify the proxy and you are limited in the ports that you can connect to. For instance, you can't get to port 81 with the 5.99 plan, or any non-standard email port. Plus whenever you tether, you have to specify the proxy on the tethering device. Supposedly, file sizes are limited to 1MB in some markets with the 5.99 plan. ( see http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/T-Mobile_Data )

One big advantage of the 19.99 plan is that you get unlimited use of T-Mobile Hotspots, which can be a lot of fun with the iPhone.
Like WiFi hot spots? Where can I get a map of where all the hot spots are so I can see if it's worth it?