T mobile question

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by diverdown, Apr 3, 2013.

1. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

I was just looking into these new plans and the savings over my att plan seems to good to be true.

Currently I have the mobile share plan with 5 smart phones and 10gb of shared data. Each phone costs $30 plus 120 for the data, which works out to about 54 per phone or $270. Of course my bill always seems to be around $320....

T-Mobile is offering me:
    Unlimited talk and text (2 lines) $80
    2gb data x 5 lines $50
    Add a line x 3 $30
    Total $160 before taxes. Even assuming $30 in taxes I'm still saving a boat load each month.......

It's tempting. I know my N4 will run on the T-Mobile network, but will my AT&T iPhone 4s and 4's......

~S

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can unlock them with permanent IMEI unlocks (available on eBay for about $5) , but they will not be capable of running on LTE due to hardware limitations of the older iPhones, so data will be much slower than what you're used to. Getting data set up and working on your 4 and 4S can be a little tricky, but it does work. They will not have Visual Voicemail. The lower costs are because they have the worst coverage of the big four carriers.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I wonder if the upcoming carrier update will allow iPhone 4's and 4s's to have visual voicemail? They can't get LTE like Europa said, but the VM would be a welcome addition.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The T-Mobile iPhone 5 will since it will be officially supported, but I think it's unlikely on the older phones since they will still require require unlocking to work on their network. T-Mobile might sell a 4 and 4S eventually, but they will have a different radio chip than the unlocked AT&T 4 and 4S. As far as I know, none of the unsupported networks that require unlocking have working Visual Voicemail. It will be nice if it does, though. It's so much more convenient.

5. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

Visual voicemail would be great. However, not having LTE would not effect us as much because neither the iPhone 4 or 4s are LTE phones. They say 4G but they run on AT&T's 14.4 HPSA+ network. The iPhone 5 on AT&T runs on the LTE network. That may be different for the Verizon models, but I don't have Verizon.

Data speed for my iPhones is not really an issue as they are used by my mom and my daughter, who use a negligible amount of data per month (almost always on wifi). Between them I doubt they use anywhere near 500mb.

I'm going to visit T-Mobile tomorrow and see if I can get a loner sim card to put in my GSM Galaxy Nexus and see how the service is......I know T-Mobile's service is not as good as AT&T, but saving $150 per month is a big draw....

~S

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's not different on the Verizon phones; the iPhone 5 is the only iPhone that can access Verizon's LTE network. My point was that the data on the 4 and 4S will be a lot slower than what they are used to because T-Mobile's 3G is a lot slower than AT&T's HSPA+. Their 3G isn't available in many areas because they had to upgrade their towers for their 3G to be compatible with the unlocked iPhones. I'm in a medium-sized city that has 5 Mbps AT&T HSPA+ and 11 Mbps Verizon LTE, yet T-Mobile still runs on Edge here on an unlocked 4S that I have, and Edge is as slow as a turtle.

7. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

Gotcha... That makes sense. I suppose the only way to tell is to get a T-Mobile Sim and check the service.

As I stated before, the biggest consumer of data is me (my wife, mom and daughter hardly use any... Mostly email) and I have the nexus 4 which will connect to their higher speed network.

I work in NYC and live about 30 miles north so hopefully they have my area covered. As of now AT&T gets LTE in NYC but not where I live.

If tmobile is good for voice in my area and does not drop calls for my wife, I could always sell her iPhone 4s and pick up the T-Mobile version for her.....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2