T-Mobile users SOL with 3G iPhone?

the_brein

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
So are all us Tmobile users gonna be SOL with the new iPhone since it uses 3G and Tmobile uses Edge? If so then it looks like I'm gonna be stuck with my 1gen iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
T-Mobile has 3G too, but people have been saying it wont work because of T-Mobiles different frequency or baseband or something like that...also, you wont be able to use it with them until its unlocked.

ibTom

Bronze
Mar 21, 2008
I think what the OP is referring to is that you need to have a contract with At&t to get the 3G iPhone. Before you can get the V1 without a contract, unlock it and use it with T-mobile. No sense in paying for an AT&T phone plan that you won't be using. That's $70 + taxes/fees per month at least.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Yes. T-MO customers are SOL with the iPhone 3G. It won't work on T-MO's 3G system. It might work on T-Mo's EDGE, but why would you go to the trouble. The GPS requires 3G to work. All the other features will be included in the 2.0 firmware update.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
You guys are little behind here,

a.) 2.0 firmware is already unlocked and even witha new baseband it's just a matter or bit difference code to re-unlock them again. (not hard if you understand a little code)

b.) It doesn't matter if it's unlockable, the iPhone in the US will be sold with a plan before you walk out the door, so either way you're not going to sell it on ebay because you are stuck with a contract.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
and T-Mobile customers will be wasting their time buying the iPhone 3G, because they will not get 3G service from T-Mobile here in the US on the iPhone 3G. If T-Mobile customers want an iPhone, get the v1.

the_brein

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
I guess I will be stuck with my v1 phone. Although, my base bill with tmobile comes out to 80 bucks anyways. It may be worthwhile to switch to AT&T.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Yes. T-MO customers are SOL with the iPhone 3G. It won't work on T-MO's 3G system. It might work on T-Mo's EDGE, but why would you go to the trouble. The GPS requires 3G to work. All the other features will be included in the 2.0 firmware update.

The GPS shouldn't require 3g to work. The GPS chip communicates with satellites. If you use a program like google maps where maps are stored online, you would just need a data plan of any type to get map data. EDGE works fine for that now, and as far as your location tracking, that's going to depend on how strong of a lock your GPS gets with the satellites.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I guess I will be stuck with my v1 phone. Although, my base bill with tmobile comes out to 80 bucks anyways. It may be worthwhile to switch to AT&T.
If you want the 3g iPhone I'd switch to AT&T. Other than that its really not worth it to get it, I would just stay with your current one. If you switch to AT&T you should be able to sell your unlocked v1 iPhone for around $300-325 depending on its condition. That would cover your cost for a 16gb 3g iPhone right there, and if you got the $199 8gb you could pocket some money. Your data plan will go up to $30 though and you will have to add texts on top of that if you text.

the_brein

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
I use my iPhone as a phone first, after that its music and Internet equally. So 3g is a big deal for me. Edge is slow as shyte.

But also, with sdk, you know that all the cool apps are gonna come out and they are gonna be best from the Apple store and not some hacker that makes some similar version. So there's that and then the 3g looks mucjlh better. All black. I don't know why Apple went to the silver and black back. Surely they would have thought solid black would look better.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I use my iPhone as a phone first, after that its music and Internet equally. So 3g is a big deal for me. Edge is slow as shyte.

But also, with sdk, you know that all the cool apps are gonna come out and they are gonna be best from the Apple store and not some hacker that makes some similar version. So there's that and then the 3g looks mucjlh better. All black. I don't know why Apple went to the silver and black back. Surely they would have thought solid black would look better.
I'm the same way. 3g is a big deal with me and that's why I bought a N95-4 to use with AT&T. Call quality is better, obviously faster data, simultaneous voice/data connection.

I also like the all black better. I've had a few iPhones and always kept them in either a black agent 18 or black incase slider. I didn't like the silver look all that much and didn't like how slippery it was.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
What do mean stuck with you V1 iPhone?
-Its still a great phone to have bro :)

I don't know if this was intended for me, but I didn't say stuck with a V.1 iPhone. I agree the V.1 of the iPhone is a great phone, but I am sort of getting a little sick and tired of everyone going over the same old thing. What people don't want to hear is that now the new version of the iPhone (iPhone 3G) is going to be sold and treated by ATT the same as any other phone they sell. They will subsidize the phone if you are eligible and agree to a new contract. They will make you sign the contract before you leave the store and be locked in for 2 years or else you return the phone (or maybe be allowed to pay the unsubsidized price) and pay the ETF (if after 30 days you cancel). That is all. The iPhone is a special phone because we all gush over it, but in reality, it's just another phone to ATT. If you're on T-Mobile here in the US and you want a 3G iPhone, you are not going to get 3G service on the iPhone with T-Mobile USA, just EDGE, so don't go wasting your time trying to go around the system and just look for a v.1 iPhone being sold on eBay.

And hey, I hope they sell so many iPhones that everyone I pass by has one in their hands.

the_brein

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
What people don't want to hear is that now the new version of the iPhone (iPhone 3G) is going to be sold and treated by ATT the same as any other phone they sell.
I don't believe they are treated as any other phone though. I believe you're able to buy other phones without getting a contract. no strings attached. Not the case with the iPhone. It even borderlines on anti-trust voilations.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I don't believe they are treated as any other phone though. I believe you're able to buy other phones without getting a contract. no strings attached. Not the case with the iPhone. It even borderlines on anti-trust voilations.
Maybe if you buy a phone without the subsidization that may very well be possible. The iPhone is being sold just like any other phone. On July 11, 2008, they will release the pricing for unsubsidized and then you may be able to go into the store and get one without a contract extension. So, that being the case, if you were to go into the ATT store and able to buy one for full-pop without a contract, what would be the purpose? To pay $500 or more for a device that will be crippled on another provider's network? And ATT has every right to require that they sell you a contract with any phone you buy from them. Their rules, their way. You don't like it, go to another carrier.

the_brein

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
well ok, I hadn't read that u could buy the iPhone without the AT&T contract but ok. Are you sure thais the case? I've read that u needbto get the. Onteact and that u can't just buy the phone alone.

All the same, their phone their rules is not nessasarily the case. Their phone US rules is more like it.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I don't know for sure if you can walk into a store and pay full-pop for the iPhone without signing a contract. some phones have different rules for them, due to how much the company values them. the iPhone will be a big draw for people to switch to ATT, so ATT may not allow you to buy an iPhone without contract for a few months at first, maybe longer.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I don't know for sure if you can walk into a store and pay full-pop for the iPhone without signing a contract. some phones have different rules for them, due to how much the company values them. the iPhone will be a big draw for people to switch to ATT, so ATT may not allow you to buy an iPhone without contract for a few months at first, maybe longer.
Like stated earlier, I just don't see why somebody would want to come in and pay full price for the iPhone 3g just to jump to another carrier with it when there are gonna be a flood of v1 iPhones already unlocked out there for around 250-300.

I kinda agree with you, I'm not sure AT&T will even allow you to buy one at full price without a contract, so really, the full retail priced phone will only be for current customers who aren't upgrade eligible. It really does not make sense for anybody who wants this phone not to be with AT&T.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I don't know if this was intended for me, but I didn't say stuck with a V.1 iPhone. I agree the V.1 of the iPhone is a great phone, but I am sort of getting a little sick and tired of everyone going over the same old thing. What people don't want to hear is that now the new version of the iPhone (iPhone 3G) is going to be sold and treated by ATT the same as any other phone they sell. They will subsidize the phone if you are eligible and agree to a new contract. They will make you sign the contract before you leave the store and be locked in for 2 years or else you return the phone (or maybe be allowed to pay the unsubsidized price) and pay the ETF (if after 30 days you cancel). That is all. The iPhone is a special phone because we all gush over it, but in reality, it's just another phone to ATT. If you're on T-Mobile here in the US and you want a 3G iPhone, you are not going to get 3G service on the iPhone with T-Mobile USA, just EDGE, so don't go wasting your time trying to go around the system and just look for a v.1 iPhone being sold on eBay.

And hey, I hope they sell so many iPhones that everyone I pass by has one in their hands.
No its was directed towards the OP, I don't see where you thought I was directing it towards you:eek:

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
No its was directed towards the OP, I don't see where you thought I was directing it towards you:eek:
no, i just thought that because your post was located directly after mine. no offense taken. :cool: