T.V. app

matt33263

Bronze
Jun 9, 2008
Texas
Im looking for a T.V. app i don't thing ones out but is there any talks on one coming out any time soon, It seams as all the new phones have T.V. on them except the iPhone. With the 3G out now you would think that that would be a major app?

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I haven't heard of anything, but I do sure hope so. it sounds like a very interesting idea.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I know Sling Media is trying to get their player on the app store, but Apple will not approve it. Rumors are that AT&T does not want it up, due to the amount of bandwidth that it will use and them wanting to push their TV app. You know, the one that does not exist for the iPhone yet.

Im looking for a T.V. app i don't thing ones out but is there any talks on one coming out any time soon, It seams as all the new phones have T.V. on them except the iPhone. With the 3G out now you would think that that would be a major app?

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I checked out Sprint's Live TV on the Instinct and it sucks. And that's on Sprint's EVDO network. I can't imagine AT&T's 3G being any better. The TV on the LG Vue also sucked.

Good quality live television probably won't be around until the network can handle it.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
I checked out Sprint's Live TV on the Instinct and it sucks. And that's on Sprint's EVDO network. I can't imagine AT&T's 3G being any better. The TV on the LG Vue also sucked.

Good quality live television probably won't be around until the network can handle it.
i agree with you. Just give me a live sports radio app so i can listen to the Dodgers and Rams games and im happy!

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
i agree with you. Just give me a live sports radio app so i can listen to the Dodgers and Rams games and im happy!
I don't have Tuner (yet) but I heard that's pretty good. Maybe you should find out if you can get Dodgers and Rams stuff on Tuner.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
The network can handle it, it's called SlingPlayer. I use it on my AT&T Tilt all the time. I can watch all my home cable channels, including the HD ones.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
The network can handle it, it's called SlingPlayer. I use it on my AT&T Tilt all the time. I can watch all my home cable channels, including the HD ones.
Doesn't the SlingPlayer record your show for playback on your phone? I was talking about live television.

But if it works great on 3G, then I'd like to get it! :laugh2:

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
No, the Sling Box is a unit that attaches to your home cable/satellite (or any other) system and then connects to your home internet connection. Then you install the mobile player on your mobile device and it will connect to the sling box and stream your home system onto your phone. You can control your home system, like you were sitting in front of your TV watching it.

You watch everything live. I have mine even connected to my DVD player, so I can stream DVD movies to my phone. I once connected an old camcorder to the sling box also, just for fun and I could watch that via my phone.

The Sling Mobile player supports most phones, except the iPhone. This is where the whole AT&T/Apple issue comes into play. AT&T doesn't want Apple to allow Sling access to the App store for their media player.

I have this Sling Box.

And this is the mobile player.

If the Samsung Omnia comes out anytime soon, I will be dumping my iPhone mainly due to it being able to use Sling player..

Doesn't the SlingPlayer record your show for playback on your phone? I was talking about live television.

But if it works great on 3G, then I'd like to get it! :laugh2:

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
No, the Sling Box is a unit that attaches to your home cable/satellite (or any other) system and then connects to your home internet connection. Then you install the mobile player on your mobile device and it will connect to the sling box and stream your home system onto your phone. You can control your home system, like you were sitting in front of your TV watching it.

You watch everything live. I have mine even connected to my DVD player, so I can stream DVD movies to my phone. I once connected an old camcorder to the sling box also, just for fun and I could watch that via my phone.

The Sling Mobile player supports most phones, except the iPhone. This is where the whole AT&T/Apple issue comes into play. AT&T doesn't want Apple to allow Sling access to the App store for their media player.

I have this Sling Box.

And this is the mobile player.

If the Samsung Omnia comes out anytime soon, I will be dumping my iPhone mainly due to it being able to use Sling player..
Sounds complicated and expensive.
If it was easy to hook up and relatively cheap, I might get it if it came out for the iPhone.
Otherwise, I'm better off DVRing whatever shows I want to watch.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Nope, Sling Box is very easy to set up.

Good thing is, you can watch your TV from anywhere in the world. Anywhere you can get an internet connection (phone, laptop etc), you can watch TV.

I am thinking about installing a Sling Box on my brother's TV system in the UK, so that I can watch UK TV from here.

Sounds complicated and expensive.
If it was easy to hook up and relatively cheap, I might get it if it came out for the iPhone.
Otherwise, I'm better off DVRing whatever shows I want to watch.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Orb (when available) will allow you to stream TV (live, cable, satellite, whatever you have at home) from your computer (if it has an orb compliant TV tuner) to your iPhone. You can even record on the go. then watch the recorded video on the go. Whatever your computer's capable of, Orb will give you access to it.

I never tried it since I don't have a tuner installed, but I hear it was pretty cool. Should be even better on 3G.

It was available as a free jailbroken app for 1.1.4. They don't have it available for 2.0 yet. Hopefully it will be available in the app store (free) but honestly I doubt it because of that bandwidth thing. It will probably be ported to the jailbroken 2.0 soon.

Right now you can use the web interface with your 2.0 iPhone now no problem, but I don't think you can watch videos, especially TV with it.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Orb (when available) will allow you to stream TV (live, cable, satellite, whatever you have at home) from your computer (if it has an orb compliant TV tuner) to your iPhone. You can even record on the go. then watch the recorded video on the go. Whatever your computer's capable of, Orb will give you access to it.

I never tried it since I don't have a tuner installed, but I hear it was pretty cool. Should be even better on 3G.

It was available as a free jailbroken app for 1.1.4. They don't have it available for 2.0 yet. Hopefully it will be available in the app store (free) but honestly I doubt it because of that bandwidth thing. It will probably be ported to the jailbroken 2.0 soon.

Right now you can use the web interface with your 2.0 iPhone now no problem, but I don't think you can watch videos, especially TV with it.
OrbTV was very cool. Hope it comes out either on the appstore or on Installer/Cydia. I have a feeling that it'll wind up coming out for jailbroken iPhones only.

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
AT&T only offers two phones right now that stream TV. Hopefully when the technology improves, it will be available on the iPhone as well.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
both the sling player or orbtv sound like they would make great apps. I really see no reason why they shouldn't be in the appstore. and if for some reason, the network is a limitation, fine, make it run on wifi. but I know there are phones out there that let you watch tv, so I don't see why the iPhone shouldn't.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
both the sling player or orbtv sound like they would make great apps. I really see no reason why they shouldn't be in the appstore. and if for some reason, the network is a limitation, fine, make it run on wifi. but I know there are phones out there that let you watch tv, so I don't see why the iPhone shouldn't.
Yup. I agree with all the posters here. THIS is the kind of revolutionary programs that the App store should be churning out.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Yup. I agree with all the posters here. THIS is the kind of revolutionary programs that the App store should be churning out.
yeah, and not about 100 different flashlight, tip calculator, and sudoku apps.. :laugh2: