Taboo question from noob

soccerphysio

Bronze
Apr 3, 2008
Birmingham AL via Long Island
I am new to the world of "i" --- I do not own a mac, iPod or iPhone (yes, I am that one guy you have heard about that is an "Apple Virgin"). However, I am seriously looking into purchasing the iPhone when the 3G rolls out (and my T-mobile contract expires in September).

I was wondering if anyone has any advice comparing the Tilt to the iPhone. I know this is potentially a very biased group, but would appreciate any objective feedback. My thoughts:

1. I have heard that the iPhone plans for internet/email access are expensive (I cannot find any concrete info on the AT&T website). What kind of rates are you guys paying?

2. I have read the iPhone loses it's newness factor fairly quickly, whereas the Tilt has more useful everyday functions for businesss and PDA purposes. ("the iPhone is a toy, the Tilt is a functional mobile device"). Can the iPhone be used effectively as a PDA?

3. Reports on these forums of guys going through 5-8 iPhones is very concerning.

As you can tell, I am trying to find reasons to NOT purchase an iPhone, and I have not had an opportunity to "test drive" one to alleviate my concerns. Additionally, I am very ignorant in the tech world (as if you couldn't tell), so I rely heavily on forums such as this for advice.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Hmm
Well I would say the best way to see if you want the iPhone or not would be to use a friends for like an hour.

I first thought it was just an expensive (yet awesome phone) until I really used it. Then even after buying it I still found more things I liked about it.
There are a few minor things that I don't like but they are irrelevant and not nearly as bad as many other phones.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Always hard to offer advice on this sort of subject, but I'll throw a few quick thoughts in:

1. Expensive plans - A&T plans for the iPhone start at around $65 a month with voice (not unlimited), pretty minimal texting package, and unlimited data. Don't think that's crazy high by any means. Doubt you'd be paying much less with a Tilt with AT&T if you want / need unlimited data.
2. Everyone's mileage will vary on this one. I used WinMo (and sometimes Palm) devices for years, including the two previous generations of the Tilt - the 8525 and 8125. I don't miss them, and would not trade for a Tilt at all. I definitely use the iPhone as a full PDA - though until the App Store hits this summer, you may need to rely more on online apps (or native jailbreak ones) for some purposes. Exchange support will be a big plus when it comes along this summer too.
3. I really don't see that many stories of people going through multiple iPhones. On the whole, I think it is pretty rock solid.

Have you played with an iPhone yet? You should really make sure you do before deciding on things. See whether the virtual keyboard works for you, or are you really tied to the slide-out like the Tilt has.

Right now, the Tilt is going to win in any straight-up comparison of features. For many of us, the iPhone is going to win on usability, the awesome browser etc.

I think they're both great devices ...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
For what do you use your mobile phone most? Calls? Texts? Office chores (document editing, emailing, etc.)? Web browsing? Games?

The answer to that question will be a big factor in your decision. Rate your top three uses for your new phone.

soccerphysio

Bronze
Apr 3, 2008
My primary uses, in order would be:
1. Calls
2. e-mail
3. internet
4. PDA applications

Initially, I would not need the document editing aspect of WinMo, but that is something that would become more important over the next year or so. If you used to use WinMo, what do you use now to take it's place?

I have seen many references to an upcoming Apps store; what exactly will this be, and when will it be up and running?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
1. Calls
2. e-mail
3. internet
4. PDA applications

Initially, I would not need the document editing aspect of WinMo, but that is something that would become more important over the next year or so. If you used to use WinMo, what do you use now to take it's place?

I have seen many references to an upcoming Apps store; what exactly will this be, and when will it be up and running?
Confused on this one. WM is the OS of the phone. So the answer would be OS X, but I'm not sure that's what you're after. For doc editing, there isn't anything yet. We are *hoping* for an application from MS after the App Store is released in June.

The Appstore is a mobile version of iTunes with just applications. Google it, and you'll see tons of info, and some screen shots.

I use my iPhone more as a smartphone than a entertainment device. I use the internet a lot, but the calendar gets used A LOT. I came from a line of WM devices, and the only thing I do not like is that the iPhone lacks a quick view of today and upcoming tasks/appointments. You HAVE to navigate to the calendar to see what's upcoming.

As for pricing, my plan is cheaper now than it was on Verizon. And I've never had to replace any phone. I've owned 2 (4 gig, now 8 gig) and I just bought my wife an 8 gig, all with no problems. Hope this helps

EDIT: just saw you use Email a bit. I also have 4 accounts setup, 1 is businesss related. I am about to upgrade to 1.2 tonight/tomrorow and so I'll report back as to how that functions. For now, you'd have to check with your IT department to see if they allow IMAP access, otherwise you won't be able to get corporate mail until June.

BTW -welcome. You'll find a lot of good answers and people here. If they help you out (which they will) hit the "thanks" button on their post, they'll appreciate it.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I use my phone for of course calls, internet, calendar (i actually use it now!), and texting
I don't really use email except to get the pix off of my phone and "texting" my other friends with iPhones

soccerphysio

Bronze
Apr 3, 2008
Confused on this one. WM is the OS of the phone. So the answer would be OS X, but I'm not sure that's what you're after. For doc editing, there isn't anything yet. We are *hoping* for an application from MS after the App Store is released in June.

The Appstore is a mobile version of iTunes with just applications. Google it, and you'll see tons of info, and some screen shots.

I use my iPhone more as a smartphone than a entertainment device. I use the internet a lot, but the calendar gets used A LOT. I came from a line of WM devices, and the only thing I do not like is that the iPhone lacks a quick view of today and upcoming tasks/appointments. You HAVE to navigate to the calendar to see what's upcoming.

As for pricing, my plan is cheaper now than it was on Verizon. And I've never had to replace any phone. I've owned 2 (4 gig, now 8 gig) and I just bought my wife an 8 gig, all with no problems. Hope this helps

EDIT: just saw you use Email a bit. I also have 4 accounts setup, 1 is businesss related. I am about to upgrade to 1.2 tonight/tomrorow and so I'll report back as to how that functions. For now, you'd have to check with your IT department to see if they allow IMAP access, otherwise you won't be able to get corporate mail until June.

BTW -welcome. You'll find a lot of good answers and people here. If they help you out (which they will) hit the "thanks" button on their post, they'll appreciate it.
Thank you Ramesh (and all others!). I guess my concern was whether or not the iPhone could be used effectively as a SmartPhone; it appears you have experience with WinMo and the i, so I really appreciate your insight.

BTW -- where is the "thanks" button; I could not find it on your post!

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
Thank you Ramesh (and all others!). I guess my concern was whether or not the iPhone could be used effectively as a SmartPhone; it appears you have experience with WinMo and the i, so I really appreciate your insight.

BTW -- where is the "thanks" button; I could not find it on your post!
Here is my opinion on said subject.

The iPhone is an entertainment device, where the Tilt is a more functionally capable device.

The iPhone's UI is pretty and slidey, where the Tilt is standard WinMo.

The iPhone cannot receive/send MMS, where the Tilt can

The iPhone supports neither A2DP nor OBEX object push, where the Tilt definitely does.

The iPhone works for me, on my second, but that is because i was screwing a little too much with my first, BUT APPLE REPLACED IT even though i have T-Mobile.

The Tilt is an option i am considering now, because i feel it isn't a bad phone, and it has much better capabilities, but i don't think i will be able to adjust to a stylus.

I love the multi-touch, with the zooming and unzooming, and the smooth scrolling.

just so that you know - the iPhone does not support Flash.

oh, and by the way, the thanks button is right here v

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
1. Calls
2. e-mail
3. internet
4. PDA applications

Ramesh and The Man have covered some other subjects very well, so I'll just add a little on the document editing part you've mentioned and asked about what to use to take the place of (I assume) the built-in Word Mobile, Excel Mobile etc. on WinMo.

I hardly ever have a need for spreadsheet apps - but I have looked and used and been quite impressed by EditGrid. Looks great on the iPhone, works with Excel docs etc. I don't really need a straight-up word processor much either - I use the absolutely brilliant Evernote which syncs across computer platforms, online to desktop app etc, or even the iPhone's built-in Notes app for capturing stuff on the go, or the Vnotes voice recording app. Glide is also worth a look in this area, as I believe it gives you full editing capability for Word docs via the iPhone browser.

And of course this summer we should see some native (local on the iPhone rather than web) options in this area - from MS or others like Documents On The Go ...

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
what version of WinMo is the tilt running?

6 or 7?
It runs 6. 7 is not yet out and not expected until next year. 6.1 was just announced this week, and the Tilt is on the list of devices that can have that upgrade applied (when AT&T gets it ready) - see HERE for little more detail ...

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
yeah thats the version I meant, I thought it was called 7.

the BlackJack2 runs it, correct?