Tabs in Safari

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sanjeev, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Member
    Bronze

As other browsers (opera, chrome, dolphin, mercury) are providing many tabs to open many websites, I would like to see update in safari which can handle unlimited tabs.

Sent using iCafe app

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Are you jailbroken? I wish they would implement this into stock Safari too.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I have an iPhone 5 and usually have all eight tabs open in Safari. I don't purposefully try to keep them open; it just keeps that many open because I don't think about closing them until they cause problems. Occasionally, I experience problems on certain forums due to so many tabs being open. For example, the keyboard sometimes refuses to stay up after I invoke it. The problems resolve 100% of the time when I close a few tabs. I think the hardware can handle it, but the forum software has limitations and can't. It was worse and more frequent on the older phones. So no, I don't want or need unlimited tabs. Eight is plenty, IMO. How could you even manage hundreds of tabs?

4. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Member
    Bronze

Like you I don't want to open hundred tabs but some tabs I open and I want to keep them open for few days and I feel that 8 tabs are insufficient for me. Till now I haven't encountered any keyboard issue with so many tabs. Thanks for your feedback.

Sent using iCafe app

5. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Member
    Bronze

No I am not jail broken.

Sent using iCafe app

6. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

If you were there are a few tweaks you can install which allows the user to have a greater amount of open tabs.

I think the reason behind the limit is probably down to speed, Safari caches the pages and it must use up a small chunk of resource to keep them running.

7. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Member
    Bronze

I agree with you. But other browsers provide unlimited tabs and there seems to be no problem with that ( al least I feel it).

Sent using iCafe app

8. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I does work on other browsers, but have you noticed that they're much slower than mobile Safari? I occasionally use mobile Chrome because I like the fact that it syncs my open tabs across all of my devices and/or computers etc. Chrome is still significantly slower than Safari.

I do agree with Europa that 8 pages is enough, although it would also be nice not to be capped if you ever found yourself needing more tabs whilst hunting for information etc.

9. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Member
    Bronze

Ok ... Let me play with chrome for some more time then I will share my experience. Thanks for your feedback.

Sent using iCafe app

10. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

I can see tabs coming to mobile version of safari. The iPad has it, the MacBook, iMac all have it. That's a convenient feature. Hope it's sooner rather than later.

Sent using iCafe app