tactile

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

melt

Apr 14, 2007
Imagine if your computers keyboard was replaced by a sheet of glass, how enjoyable would it be to type? Personally I enjoy the 'tactile' feel of a 'standard' keyboard. I've used the touchstream keyboards in the past, they had no 'tactile' feedback and just didn't feel right. The iPhone got rid of that 'tactiliness' for a more radical, and in my opinion fad-like, approach. Not everyone will enjoy 'typing' onto a flat surface.:p

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I think we will have to experience it before we can decide if the virtual keyboard is an improvement over the keyboards currently available on phones. Many of the people that have been lucky enough to actually get their hands on an iPhone have reported that the keyboard is very easy to use. For me the buttons on many phones are too small to be usable. I am looking forward to giving the iPhone's keyboard a try.

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
Imagine if your computers keyboard was replaced by a sheet of glass, how enjoyable would it be to type? Personally I enjoy the 'tactile' feel of a 'standard' keyboard. I've used the touchstream keyboards in the past, they had no 'tactile' feedback and just didn't feel right. The iPhone got rid of that 'tactiliness' for a more radical, and in my opinion fad-like, approach. Not everyone will enjoy 'typing' onto a flat surface.:p
Of course not everyone will like typing on the iPhone, and those should not buy one.

jswan

Mar 20, 2007
It's not really fair to compare the iPhone's keyboard to a computer keyboard. The iPhone's interface lets Apple take advantage of every bit of space on the iPhone, without having to partition it between the input and interface. To me, that's worth a little less tactile feedback.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
I think people are getting a little overly fixated on the keyboard. I currently have a Treo and I'd have to say, if I think of how much time I spend typing on that thing, it's very very little. Even though I can feel the keyboard it's still awful to type on and I only do so when I absolutely have to.

Personally, I'm totally into the idea of having a full screen available for all the other more important things I do. Tactile buttons? Good riddance.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Of course not everyone will like typing on the iPhone, and those should not buy one.
Hmmm, I kind of like that sentiment.

I should be posting all the reasons I think people should NOT buy an iPhone! That way there's less competition in June when I'm trying to get my hands on one! :laugh2:

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
It kinda has tactile feed back

You will notice that the keys on the screen go bigger when you press them, this not only helps you know what key you pressed, but also acts as a kind of tactile feedback.

Personally, I would love anything with a QWERTY keyboard. I've had my phone for about 2 years and still have trouble finding where each letter is.

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
Hmmm, I kind of like that sentiment.

I should be posting all the reasons I think people should NOT buy an iPhone! That way there's less competition in June when I'm trying to get my hands on one! :laugh2:
I'm sorry, I know that sounded a little cold, it just kind of ticks me off when people try to find every reason why we shouldn't get the iPhone. If that's their decision then that's fine, but to come on a forum to diss every aspect of the device before it's even released is a little presumptuous to me. It reminds me of HoFo, and I've been enjoying their absence on this forum.

iHuman

Bronze
Dec 16, 2006
Hells Kitchen, New York City
I'm sorry, I know that sounded a little cold, it just kind of ticks me off when people try to find every reason why we shouldn't get the iPhone. If that's their decision then that's fine, but to come on a forum to diss every aspect of the device before it's even released is a little presumptuous to me. It reminds me of HoFo, and I've been enjoying their absence on this forum.

same reason I don't talk about the iPhone on one of the "treo" sites. It's like a soap opera over there, better than TV.

I like the warm fuzzy feeling of everythingiPhone... ;)

The way I see it: I use my treo for internet, and email. At the time it was one of the few phones that had those options, plus a few more I don't use. The iPhone has exactly what I want on a phone. Music, Web, and Email, on what appears to be a pretty cool UI.
I'll be interested to see the how the on screen keyboard works.
I'm always down for something new.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I used to visit HoFo before I came here. I stopped a little while a go. It seemed like for every 1 person that wanted to discuss the iPhone there were 5 that just wanted to trash it. It got too depressing and frustrating so now I spend my time here where people rationally discuss the pros and cons of the iPhone and the assumptions are kept to a minimum :).