Taking iPhone 3G back today

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I have an appointment with an Apple Genius to take back my phone today (for a new one of course). Here's what wrong with mine:

1. There is a huge white splotch on the screen about mid-bottom-right area. You can't see it unless you tilt the phone back a little bit, but when you do see it it is ugly. On black screens it is white, but on white screens it is yellow. Almost like someone held a magnet to the screen or something.
2. I have like 4 dead pixels.
3. There is GLUE coming out the side of the phone. Blue glue. I pulled it all off but there is an obvious hole where it was.
4. My Mail.app will not even open. I have restored the phone and everything but it just opens and closes no matter what I do.
5. The phone went through a day already where it could not recognize the SIM. It just said "No SIM" all day long, even though the SIM was in there nice and snug (I checked over and over). I had to restore to get it to work again.
6. Sometimes none of my programs will open at all, they all open and close (like my Mail.app) problem. I have to restart the phone to fix this.
7. My battery life sucks, about 3 hours usage.
8. I have ZERO bars any time I'm in a building. I'm thinking this is just an AT&T issue, but I'm hoping it's my phone.

Has anyone had similar problems?

oriolesfan23

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Virginia
I have an appointment with an Apple Genius to take back my phone today (for a new one of course). Here's what wrong with mine:

1. There is a huge white splotch on the screen about mid-bottom-right area. You can't see it unless you tilt the phone back a little bit, but when you do see it it is ugly. On black screens it is white, but on white screens it is yellow. Almost like someone held a magnet to the screen or something.
2. I have like 4 dead pixels.
3. There is GLUE coming out the side of the phone. Blue glue. I pulled it all off but there is an obvious hole where it was.
4. My Mail.app will not even open. I have restored the phone and everything but it just opens and closes no matter what I do.
5. The phone went through a day already where it could not recognize the SIM. It just said "No SIM" all day long, even though the SIM was in there nice and snug (I checked over and over). I had to restore to get it to work again.
6. Sometimes none of my programs will open at all, they all open and close (like my Mail.app) problem. I have to restart the phone to fix this.
7. My battery life sucks, about 3 hours usage.
8. I have ZERO bars any time I'm in a building. I'm thinking this is just an AT&T issue, but I'm hoping it's my phone.

Has anyone had similar problems?
The only problem is battery life. I'm getting roughly 2 hours and 25 minutes on a full charge. Should I take mine back? I got 7 hours on my v1 iPhone.

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
The only problem is battery life. I'm getting roughly 2 hours and 25 minutes on a full charge. Should I take mine back? I got 7 hours on my v1 iPhone.
id say yes! im getting at least 5-6 hours of solid internet time

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I've definitely heard of some of those problems, but not all in one like that. I'd say you have a defective phone.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
None of the above. I can go through the battery pretty fast if I leave 3G on all the time. I'm on wi-fi all the time at home.

Sometimes some applications cause a reboot, but it's not chronic.

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007

I had this problem. It was DEAD center of the phone. It was real annoying because I was always looking directly at it. I took my phone back (with the box and everything it came with and they hooked me up with an exchange no questions really. Was in and out in like 10 mins.

Good luck!

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
I had this problem. It was DEAD center of the phone. It was real annoying because I was always looking directly at it. I took my phone back (with the box and everything it came with and they hooked me up with an exchange no questions really. Was in and out in like 10 mins.

Good luck!
My speakers broke a couple of weeks ago, and I took mine in last week, and she played a song on it, realized that it really was broken, and then gave me a new one. Sign my name, and off I go lol.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT

Good luck!
OH do I need to bring the box or can I just bring the phone?

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
I'm wondering about battery power myself. If I'm on 3G...I only get about 2 and a half hours of use. Wi-fi is probably around 4 hours. Staying on EDGE gives me a bit less battery than my old V1 iPhone, but it's comparable. Should I be concerned, or is it normal? I guess I expected better battery on EDGE...not comparable. I expected drain with 3G, but 2.5 hours isn't all that great...