taking the 1.1.3 plunge...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
...so i had to restore my phone due to the first REALLY bad thrid party application i've had to deal with ("Advanced Settings" or something like that... STAY AWAY!). Anyway, i just restored to 1.1.1 with the intent to jailbreak again, but the more i thought about it, the more i considered just going to 1.1.3 and give up my apps... my reasoning was 1.1.3 will probably be jailbroken within a reasonable amount of time (like all other updates have been), but even if it isn't, the SDK is right around the corner...

so what the heck... with the new map features and the reported zippiness of Safari, it might just be worth it (yes, i'm just telling myself that so i won't be kicking myself in the shin later).

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Wow. Interested to hear what you reckon once you have a chance to play with it. Real sorry to hear decision was caused by a rogue app. I had seen that one and shied away - I try to use some weird instinct for what may be a risky app (which will almost certainly fail me at some point here) - glad I kept away from that one ....

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, it's just really badly implemented, and REALLY screws with your settings. a normal restore didn't even do it; it left its custom carrier image, its battery icon, and its auto-dim settings after uninstalling the app AND restoring (i had to restore to a different computer that had a restore point a few weeks old to get rid of it completely).

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I predict you'll really appreciate the stability.

I was on the fence for a while, but I looked at the "killer apps" on the "dark side" and... frankly, wasn't impressed. They're cool, and god bless them for pushing the tech, but, yeah...

I think you'll find your phone as enjoyable as ever, if not more so. Just perhaps not quite as "unique"?

Good luck.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
yeah, it's just really badly implemented, and REALLY screws with your settings. a normal restore didn't even do it; it left its custom carrier image, its battery icon, and its auto-dim settings after uninstalling the app AND restoring (i had to restore to a different computer that had a restore point a few weeks old to get rid of it completely).

That sucks - sorry to hear about so much aggro - hope the upgrade is good to you, and hope 1.1.3 is cracked soon due to Tinman's anti-jinx prediction effect :)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, these are the apps i'm going to really miss:

-converter
-last.fm
-solitaire

and of course summerboard and customizer... other than that, i didn't use much else.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Oh, I'd miss a lot: iBlackjack, Screenshot, SysInfo, iFlickr, Services, iPhoneHome, Websearch, SyncJe, Chess (because I enjoy getting absolutely freakin trounced), VNotes, Photoboard & Real Artist, and others ...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
From the department of redundancy dept.?

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
What keeps me stock is the fact the SDK is close and that I ALWAYS hear tons of problems about third party apps. You could make a list of over 100 threads where people have messed their phones up and desperately need help.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I stay away from it because I loaded up my Windows Mobile phone with LEGAL apps and it got dodgy.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I stay away from it because I loaded up my Windows Mobile phone with LEGAL apps and it got dodgy.
Exactly - this is why I think some folks are a little deluded on how after the SDK, paid-for apps will just magically be 100% stable and reliable, because they're paid for. I've seen *plenty* of paid-for apps over the years on Palm and Windows Mobile that were diabolical dogs. My experience with 3rd party apps for iPhone so far (unpaid for) is very, very good ...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I will just say from my experience with Apple's desktop hardware/software (even 3rd-party software), I expect better things from Apple's iPhone app implementation.

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
I will just say from my experience with Apple's desktop hardware/software (even 3rd-party software), I expect better things from Apple's iPhone app implementation.
I agree I'd trust Apple apps to work better than windows or palm

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I agree I'd trust Apple apps to work better than windows or palm
The iPhone's OS already seems to be considerably more stable / robust than Palm or WinMo. But ... keep in mind, there are currently somewhere around 18,000 apps for Windows Mobile, similar number for Palm. Thousands. With the enthusiasm for developing for the iPhone, there will soon be hundreds, and then thousands, of apps for the iPhone. They will not be Apple apps, made or coded or carefuly reviewed by Apple. So yeah, the OS is strong, but I don't buy that Apple's system of vetting hundreds / thousands of apps will be light years better than everyone else ...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The question will be how these apps get on the phone (like we don't know). "Offering an SDK" and "Opening the Flood Gates" are not the same thing. Has licensing and distribution been discussed anywhere on the net?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
The question will be how these apps get on the phone (like we don't know). "Offering an SDK" and "Opening the Flood Gates" are not the same thing. Has licensing and distribution been discussed anywhere on the net?
I don't know how you keep the flood gates closed without inviting another PR disaster for being a closed, walled garden. Everybody wants to develop for the iPhone. Looking at Palm and WinMo tells you that it's entirely possible to get a super-solid and excellent app from a one-person software publisher, and a rogue, crappy app from a much bigger firm. Look at the speed at which apps (both native and web) come out ever since the iPhone's launch. I just don't see Apple having the resources or even wanting to carefuly vet apps in the quantity that they're going to appear.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I just don't see Apple completely relinquishing control...

But this isn't the point of the original thread. Good luck again, Hippo!