Taking the plunge into OS X Leopard...

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Yep, I'm finally giving it a try after a little more research into x86 Leopard, and after finding one that claims to be compatible with my AMD processor...

I'm installing Leopard on my PC!

I know it will not be the same as using a Mac, but this is a necessity in order for me to develop things for the iPhone and iPod Touch. And hopefully make enough money so that I actually can buy a Mac!

For anyone that's curious, I'm using the Zephyroth 10.5.2 AMD build

I know it's not legal/moral, but I'm a poor sap, and this is the only way I can get an app out there in front of every iPhone and iPod Touch user; I figure working my ass off and developing software in order to afford the hardware is better than either begging people to buy me one, or using the "unauthorized" version of OS X for no productive reason.

13 minutes left in the install. Wish me luck, both with the install and with my venture...

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Good luck to you on both fronts. Hopefully what you're trying to do will pay off!

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
You wont get the same feeling as if you owned a Mac but good luck nonetheless.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
You wont get the same feeling as if you owned a Mac but good luck nonetheless.
Depth, thats the whole point- to eventually own a Mac, just right now the money isn't there for one.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Well, hit the first bump when I just plopped the DVD in, hit all the "Continue" buttons and expected it to work. :laugh2:

I did not install a boot loader, which is required to be selected in the "Customize" section. so, the install failed and I am trying it again. I was also unaware the bootloader has problems with volumes that have spaces in them, and by default my disk was named "Untitled 1" when I formatted it for the Mac OS - so just in case, I renamed that to a terribly original "ifury"

Take two... 28 minutes left :p

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Well, hit the first bump when I just plopped the DVD in, hit all the "Continue" buttons and expected it to work. :laugh2:

I did not install a boot loader, which is required to be selected in the "Customize" section. so, the install failed and I am trying it again. I was also unaware the bootloader has problems with volumes that have spaces in them, and by default my disk was named "Untitled 1" when I formatted it for the Mac OS - so just in case, I renamed that to a terribly original "ifury"

Take two... 28 minutes left :p
Hi, Fury. I used the Kalyway Leopard install for Intel SSE3 and have since updated to 10.5.2. Leopard runs absolutely great on my PC. I've used my brother's Mac and I actually prefer my hackintosh. Of course, I would like to eventually get an 8-core Mac Pro...:)

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Best of luck getting the install to work. I'm interested to see how all this goes, this is something I was considering doing before switching back to Mac. My hardware didn't meet the requirements, so when the time permitted upgrading my PC, I opted for a Mac.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Hi, Fury. I used the Kalyway Leopard install for Intel SSE3 and have since updated to 10.5.2. Leopard runs absolutely great on my PC. I've used my brother's Mac and I actually prefer my hackintosh. Of course, I would like to eventually get an 8-core Mac Pro...:)
Me too...Some day when I win the lottery... :laugh2:

Latest update: Leopard is installed! On the second take, when I rebooted, it just hung there, but I started up with the option -f (which apparently rebuilds some kext's, whatever those are) - and it booted into Leopard, giving me a bunch of "System extension ... was not properly installed" yadda

Now I'm checking to see if I can install the iPhone SDK

edit: aww, it crashed during the install, and now it won't boot up, I just get the "You need to restart your computer" message.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Third Leopard install, and I strictly went into the third party drivers section and selected ONLY the items relevant to my config... this time, Leopard booted up after the install without any intervention, and I didn't run into any error dialogs once the desktop came up.

*crosses fingers and tries the iPhone SDK again*

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Yep, Leopard installs just fine on AMD, but the SDK fails - crashes just before the end, and causes the system to stop booting, so I have to reinstall it again...

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
OK, documenting step by step this time...

(will edit as I go along)

1) Turn on PC, put Leopard AMD DVD in

2) Hit a key to boot from the DVD

3) Wait

4) Start up another podcast on the iPhone

(I find myself taking more and more music off my iPhone to make room for podcasts lately...seems I have become a podcastoholic.. Any recommendations?)

5) Stare at the pretty spinning beachball

6) Use English for the main langauge. Wait.

7) Utilities -> Disk Utility... select my disk... Erase tab -> Erase. (Simply reinstalling over the existing OS X setup just leads back into the "You must restart your computer" screen of death)

8) Back to installer... Continue, Agree, Select my drive, Continue, Customize... Uncheck Langauge Translations, go through Third Party Drivers and check "AC97 Audio Driver", "NForce 2/3/4/5 chipset driver", "NVidia 10.5.2 kexts", "NVinject 256MB", and "Forcedeth driver", and then under Bootloader, check "EFI v8 MBR Bootloader" since I'm using an old fashioned BIOS system rather than a bona-fide EFI. Done, then Install. Skipping consistency check since it completed once, and I haven't removed the DVD from the drive since that...so I highly doubt the contents of the disk have been changed or corrupted.

9) Damn, look at the time... I need to get some sleep.

note to self: saw a post on ipodtouchfans that had somebody install the Xcode 3.1 before installing the iPhone SDK. I'll have to be sure and try that...

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
The SDk needs Intel is why I'm asking.