Taking your iPhone to the GYM

mad_vtak

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
Hey guys! Ive searched the forum and couldn't find an answer to my question.

I go to the gym and work out and what not, i usually bring either my ipod video or nano. Well now i have a iPhone and i would like to nkow if any of you guys bring your iPhone with you to the gym and what case do you use.

Also would you recommend brining your iPhone to the gym to work out?

Thanks EIC:cool:

CJPatel

Aug 19, 2007
Delaware
Actually thats funny you posted this, I never took any music o the gym cause the Apple headphones don't sit in my ears, but I just got a set of creative nosie cancelling and they sit in my ear perfectly.

I took my iPhone to the gym, and it worked out well, just put it in your pocket and fish through your shirt. Also, double clicking when its locked brings up the ipod part.

jdxlee

Sep 26, 2007
I pretty much go the gym everyday and don't like to use my iPhone when working out...depending on how you workout, i don't want to put my $400 investment in that kind of situation. Plus, using the headphones that it comes w/ gets pretty annoying b/c of the mic. But if you want to use the iPhone for the gym, i've seen people use the belkin armstrap, hope this helps!

blurm

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
I pretty much go the gym everyday and don't like to use my iPhone when working out...depending on how you workout, i don't want to put my $400 investment in that kind of situation. Plus, using the headphones that it comes w/ gets pretty annoying b/c of the mic. But if you want to use the iPhone for the gym, i've seen people use the belkin armstrap, hope this helps!
I have taken my iPhone to the Gym quite a bit and I have found that it does work well for creating a playlist on the fly. The other thing that I really liked was the button on the Microphone which allows you to skip a song if you want. However the button stopped working after a couple of weeks BC of the sweat. I even put tape over it to try and keep it out but to no avail. Now it just doesn't work and I will have to buy another one. I don't sweat abnormally but when I do go to the Gym I run like three miles followed up by free weights so by the time I am done I'm soaked. The wet shirt added to the malfunction I am sure.

I used the Belkin arm strap, it became troublesome to function the iPhone when the button stopped working bc I was always trying to twist the strap so I could see the face of the phone and skip a song.

So in a nutshell my experience was great until the button stopped working. Also I was concerned with the amount of moisture the phone would be exposed to so I searched the forum for water damage. I read in one that a guy swam with his phone (completly submerged for 10 minutes) in about a weeks time the phone was fully functionall! Now of course I don't recommend doing laps with your phone lol but if your worried about water damage I wouldn't.

mad_vtak

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
Thanks for the responses, i wont feel odd brining in my phone to the gym for a good work out. I don't like the Apple ear phone either. They tend to slip out every now and then. I'm looking to get the Vmodo ear phones. Looks promising.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
i've never taken my iPhone to the gym (because it's been a while since i've worked out) but i did use to take my iPod and nothing ever went wrong there.

i would usually set the iPod on the machine i was using and it always seemed to work out fine.

Resident Plarp

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
www2.oakland.edu
I push weights around four times a week, religiously. The iPhone is kept on my arm with Belkin armband. I have Shure E3c earbuds with the wires run down my back, put through my left sleeve and then into the iPhone. I had to solder an iPod earphone jack to the end of my Shure's to make it all happen. This method of routing keeps things out of the way so I can focus on the exercise.

Only problem I've had comes from armpump when the Belkin armband is drawn too tightly over my bicep. Short of that, me loves it!

Aug 9, 2007
I take my iPhone to the gym, as I use Gyminee.com's iPhone site to record my workout progress. My earphone "clicker" quit working due to sweat as well. The Apple store gave me a free replacement set though. I bought a set of rivet earbuds w/clicker for gym use and they are working great still. I don't run them up the inside of my shirt though, but their design, where the back of your neck supports them keeps them snug in my ears.

iPaul

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Minneapolis
I bring my iPhone to the gym. I use one of the armband holders, i think Belkin, as well as the Nike Vapor earphones I got at Target. The Vapors run about $24 and stay on my ears just great, very adjustable. They are made to fit the iPhone jack as well although they don't have a mic, but who wants to answer calls at the gym anyway. They also are short so they just fit from my ear to the armband, altho they have an detachable extension if you want a longer cord. I have to say I am a little concerned about sweat condensing inside the armband holder over time, but nevertheless I recommend this combo for the gym.

Curly

Jan 2, 2008
don't get to the gym much, but I do quite a bit of roadwork. I use the DLO armband, and have an Ironman that controls the phone's iPod functions. The combo makes music adjustments pretty easy when on the bike. Now if only Apple would make the Nike+ system work with the iPhone...

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
i have an ipod nano that i use for the gym. i usually switch songs during working out and running/ellipticalling and I don't like the iPhone's ipod interface for times when I am running or moving a lot. it's much easier to switch songs on my nano than it is on the iPhone without looking. plus, i've dropped my nano a few times in the gym and would not want that to happen to my iPhone.

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
I still use my iPod video for the gym because I don't want to bang up my iPhone. Plus, I probably wouldn't use my iPod anymore if I didn't at least use it there!

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I am too afriad of messing up my iPhone at the gym. I had a 1st gen nano that replaced my mini. This Christmas, I replaced my nano with a new purple shuffle for gym use. I gave the nano to my daughter. I figure the $79 shuffle is almost indestructable and it is so light and clips on anywhere. Arm bands annoy me and my gym clothes do not really have pockets for the iPhone.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I am too afriad of messing up my iPhone at the gym. I had a 1st gen nano that replaced my mini. This Christmas, I replaced my nano with a new purple shuffle for gym use. I gave the nano to my daughter. I figure the $79 shuffle is almost indestructable and it is so light and clips on anywhere. Arm bands annoy me and my gym clothes do not really have pockets for the iPhone.
just be careful if you sweat heavily... my girlfriend had a shuffle (newest gen) and some sweat got into the headset jack and completely fried the ipod and we had to have Apple exchange it for a new one. now she uses it with an armband and no problems... YET.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
just be careful if you sweat heavily... my girlfriend had a shuffle (newest gen) and some sweat got into the headset jack and completely fried the ipod and we had to have Apple exchange it for a new one. now she uses it with an armband and no problems... YET.
Thanks for the heads up! Was your girlfriend clipping it on her top or shorts?

I usually have the headphone jack plugged in, so I do not see a lot of moisture getting in there, but I will be careful. Armbands usually bug the heck out of me, but I will check some out. I had an iskin on my nano and never had problems with it. And I guess I would rather fry a $79 item and a $399 item.

I am also afraid of hitting the iPhone with a dumbbell.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Thanks for the heads up! Was your girlfriend clipping it on her top or shorts?

I usually have the headphone jack plugged in, so I do not see a lot of moisture getting in there, but I will be careful. Armbands usually bug the heck out of me, but I will check some out. I had an iskin on my nano and never had problems with it. And I guess I would rather fry a $79 item and a $399 item.

I am also afraid of hitting the iPhone with a dumbbell.
she would clip it on the shoulder strap part of her tank tops and that area was just below the head, which would drip sweat into the shuffle. right now, she is using this armband: MARWARE