Talk 'n Surf on Verizon/iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Santa, May 17, 2014.

1. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

I just read that AT&T is starting to roll out voice over LTE. Has anyone read anything about Verizon doing the same? Or that the iPhone 6 will have an extra antennae to do talk 'n surf on Verizon?

I'm really happy with the coverage I'm getting on Verizon, but I miss talk 'n surf a lot more than I thought I would. I'm thinking I might have to switch back to AT&T this fall if something doesn't change.

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

4G/LTE should make it easier for Verizon to do Talk n Surf. It wasn't possible on 3G.

3. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

LTE does make it possible. But they've been on LTE for quite a while and still nothing.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

When Mindi and I tried out Verizon iPhone 5's, we heard that Verizon was planning on instituting voice-over-LTE within a couple of years. Either that or Apple needs to add that third antenna. We both went back to AT&T rather quickly.

5. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

yes, I should have switched back. But I've done my 2 years time now, so I guess I'll be an AT&T dude.

I'm assuming no 3rd antenna as I haven't heard that in any of the feature "leaks".

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Most of the Android phones have had the third antenna for years. The HTC Thunderbolt actually had two separate radios to allow simultaneous voice and data.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Maybe I don't understand what is meant by Talk n Surf, but I can talk on my phone while surfing sites in Safari. I have Verizon. So either one can do it on Verizon now, or I'm ignorant about Talk n Surf. :confused:
    Never mind. I still had wifi on.

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Are you using wifi at the time?

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yeah. I still had it on.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Every version of the iPhone can talk and surf at the same time while on WiFi. Currently, only AT&T iPhones can talk and surf on cellular. This is a big selling point for AT&T.

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't talk enough on the phone for Talk n Surf to be an issue with me. But I can see where some would like to do it.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's more than just liking to do it. A lot of us have been using it for years and have gotten to where we depend on it. I use it nearly every day.

13. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

Yep, and I didn't realize how much I depended on it before I switched.

14. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I probably do it more than I realize. I'm just on wifi 98% of the time. So I had no idea it couldn't be done on cellular. I mostly do it when I'm explaining something to people, and I need to see what I'm explaining. I hope Verizon gets that done.

15. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

This capability has always been a big selling point for me, which is why I've remained with AT&T. My previous employer provided me with a Samsung Galaxy S2 on the Sprint network, and I quickly found out how limiting it was to not be able to talk and use data at the same time. For example, being on a businesss call, and the other party says, "I just emailed you the information." Then, in order to retrieve the email, I would need to drop the phone call, get the email, and then call back. Or, try using the mapping/navigation feature while you're driving. Again, without simultaneous voice/data capability, you can't do it.

I have read that the reason Apple doesn't put an additional cellular radio into the iPhone is because it would drastically reduce battery life. It's not just adding another antenna. An additional cellular radio is needed to use the additional antenna.

16. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

I haven't heard this, but it does makes some sense. On the other hand, if it's true, why don't all the Android phones with the extra antenna's have worse battery life than the iPhone?

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

The Galaxy S3 used one radio and two RF chains, according to AnandTech.

I remember a big deal being made about the Thunderbolt having two radios. It also had incredibly bad battery life, if I recall reports.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Agreed. I rely on simultaneous voice and data as well. However, to be fair, those with Sprint and Verizon iPhones can talk on the phone while using navigation as long as they set up the route prior to initiating or accepting a call. The maps are cached and it continues to route even if you lose your cell signal. Due to the lack of simultaneous voice and data, they can't input a route while on a phone call, which may have been what you meant.

19. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

A family member works in DC where verizon even has coverage in the subway/metro. Talk & surf was a deal breaker for him so he stayed with AT&T for his 5S.

#19 MrMike6by9, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014
  20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I didn't know Verizon had coverage there. I guess I'm not surprised. Coverage is where Verizon excels and where AT&T still falls short. I remember losing my AT&T signal in the Metro last time I was in DC. It would be nice if AT&T expanded their coverage to better match Verizon's.