Talk to Text

ukbsktbll

Aug 12, 2009
Is there any such app out there? I just recently got a new 3gs and thought i would see. Thanks

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
With all the states (like VA where I live) starting to outlaw txt'ing while driving this would be an awesome app to have. I'd definitely pay money for this.

Ward

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
It's not a possibility which is going to work well enough to be useful.

The technology isn't there yet. IMO, we're going to have to wait several more generations of iPhone before this becomes a realistic, workable input method.

ZJH90

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
San Francisco!!!!
It's not a possibility which is going to work well enough to be useful.

The technology isn't there yet. IMO, we're going to have to wait several more generations of iPhone before this becomes a realistic, workable input method.
I'm not exactly sure what makes you think this isn't a possibility. Vlingo (in the AppStore) uses the exact same technology to send tweets on twitter or to search for things on Google, very much like the Google App does (another great example of this technology). Although your opinion is that we need to wait through several more generations, it is very obvious that this technology could be implemented on today's current iPhone.

Ward

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
The examples you cite are server based. And even with the effectively unlimited resources, their actual results are far from perfect. In fact, if your voice strays too far from the North American, model, you might as well be talking Swahili.

Of course it can be implemented, but will it actually *work* well enough to be useful? Will it be quicker (taking into account manual corrections) than just typing it in manually? I don't think so. Not yet.

Test-Pilot

Bronze
Jan 20, 2008
I guess I'm an old curmudgeon. But if you're going to TALK into the phone to get a message across, wouldn't it be safer, quicker, and friendlier to TALK to the PERSON that you're messaging? You wouldn't have to wait for a text message back.

ZJH90

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
San Francisco!!!!
The examples you cite are server based. And even with the effectively unlimited resources, their actual results are far from perfect. In fact, if your voice strays too far from the North American, model, you might as well be talking Swahili.

Of course it can be implemented, but will it actually *work* well enough to be useful? Will it be quicker (taking into account manual corrections) than just typing it in manually? I don't think so. Not yet.
Then I highly recommend you take a quick look at Vlingo. I was pretty astounded to see how well it actually picked up my voice from different distances and from varying levels of volume. One in maybe every ten tests did I have to actually manually correct something, and generally, they were fairly small corrections. I strongly feel that this technology is very much capable of being used for the OP's intent.

Jun 30, 2009
Vlingo is very interesting. It's features are very useful. Just works so smooth. It's voice capturing capability is awesome.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I guess I'm an old curmudgeon. But if you're going to TALK into the phone to get a message across, wouldn't it be safer, quicker, and friendlier to TALK to the PERSON that you're messaging? You wouldn't have to wait for a text message back.
You win the thread. :eek:k:eek:k