Talking on Phone while charging...

kbhark

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Does anyone know if talking or using the phone while charging is bad for the battery? I was talking on the phone while it was charging and noticed the phone was getting really hot. Does this effect the battery life or is it ok? Any advice would help, thanks!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Does anyone know if talking or using the phone while charging is bad for the battery? I was talking on the phone while it was charging and noticed the phone was getting really hot. Does this effect the battery life or is it ok? Any advice would help, thanks!
Talking or using the iPhone while plugged in causes absolutely no harm to the battery. Your charging time (to full charge) may take longer, though. :)

Don't worry about the temperature. The iPhone gets hot when it is heavily used. Add in the temperature increase from chargin, and you have the condition you describe. The temperature envelope of the iPhone adequately encompasses such temperature swings.

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
Eragons answer is dead on.

BTW that is one of the better user type of questions i have heard in awhile. I know that sounds kind of cheesy but thats my opinion. IMHO there seems to be a lot of whinning about "i wish" type of daydreaming on this site vs. pro-consumer type issues and questions..

But yes..after using the iPhone while charging, I too have noticed that it tends to start heating up and when that happens I too wonder if i have triggered soemthing internally to make that happen or whether it is a normal operation characteristic.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Eragons answer is dead on.

BTW that is one of the better user type of questions i have heard in awhile. I know that sounds kind of cheesy but thats my opinion. IMHO there seems to be a lot of whinning about "i wish" type of daydreaming on this site vs. pro-consumer type issues and questions..
Hey I think we have all run out of questions for the iPhone 1. Have you heard there might be an iPhone 2 release soon:p. I think we should all chill the tension is building. Its a very fine balance to be had...

Use the search, don't use the search
Good question, bad question (subjective but did he/she use the search)
Good post, bad posts (again subjective)

And comments on comments .....like this one:cool:

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
yes ive noticed it too while i was surfing and charging art the same time... it seems normal, but its not like when i was charging through the car charger and it started getting abnormally hot... thats when i started getting worried...

kbhark

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Thanks for all the responses! Glad to hear it does no harm to the phone.

justahsquirrel

Silver
Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
Thanks for all the responses! Glad to hear it does no harm to the phone.
It does no harm as everyone else mentioned. Remember the iPhone an impressive device with computer like circuitry...its like your pc/mac at home, the more you load on it, the warmer it becomes, think of it that way. Electricity flowing throw a conductive material with induce a change in temperature of the conductor.....

as for charging...electrons are flowing through the wires to rechange the battery and in turn heat is produced....same as for when using the phone, electrons are moving about the circuitry and as a bi-product again..heat...

technical...yes....
necessary...not really...im just stuck at work and board...lol
cheers!

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
mine gets very hot while charging. My phone is usually used outside and sometimes its charged outside. On 3 occasions the phone got so hot that it stopped working for about a half hour.

I take my phone in tomorrow to get a new one. :)

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
Does anyone know why sometimes the iPhone is burning hot when charging, but at other times quite cool when charging as well?