TapTapRevolution: Tested by Guitar Hero Developer

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
So I was talking to a longtime buddy of mine who recently got an iPhone. He shall remain nameless, however he works for the Activision leg of Harmonix and he's directly working with the Guitar Hero franchises.

After much arm twisting I finally got him to mod his iPhone (company owned which is why he didn't want to mod it), and install TapTapRevolution so he could get a taste of a GH-esque type game on the iPhone...

His immediate response?

GuitarHeroDev said:
THIS GAME SUCKS!

THE BEAT MARKERS ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO EVEN SEE IN GROUPS!
So there you have it, a quote from someone in the Harmonix building who has actually played TapTapRevolution... LoL!

The irony here is I also had the same problem, (yes I too worked in the game industry so I know a little something about game engines), and that I had addressed the issue myself by way of graphic modifications. I sent him the link to my files and asked him to give it another go.

And...

GuitarHeroDev said:
ITS ACTUALLY PLAYABLE NOW
So if you find yourself in the same boat, that is to say, you love TTR but hate fighting with the visuals to play it, then head over to my modification thread:
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/taptaprevolution-mod-new-graphics-w-ishare-links.10307/

It's got improved visuals that make the game a whole lot more enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator:

desjr7359

Sep 15, 2007
Very nice, have love TTR, added your mod to it, and definitely looks and plays nicer now (would be nice to have a high score save though)

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Yeah, we know its free!

I was just asking my friend to check it out because all I've heard from him for the passed year is GH this and GH that... Well I don't play GH (don't shoot me) so I never knew what all the buzz was about. Low and behold Nate introduces something similar and I'm hooked on the premise.

You see I've played BeatMania before, it predates all these rhythm games and is the basic engine from which the others spawned. The problem is, they were all JPop songs and I really didn't have any connection to them like I do my iTunes library. Soo, when I played the same engine using songs I knew, I fell in love. Going back to my roots in BeMani, I realized there were some rough spots in Nate's interpretation that needed ironing out, and that's just what I addressed in my graphic modification.

The beat markers were artificially adding a level of difficulty which isn't present in the game's inspriation. BeatMania, Dance Dance Revolution, and GuitarHero make their beat markers very obvious for a reason, to allow the gamers to focus in on whats really fun, and thats becoming synced with the music. You literally hit a zone where you feel like you are playing the music at hand, and without knowing when to tap at the right time makes hitting this zone very difficult.

Taking things a step further I also modified the text messages, Good, Sweet! and YOU SUCK! Firstly, and most obvious, they're all grey. That means I have to read them to see how I did, or train my brain to differentiate between the message sizes to interpret what they just said... Well, the latter becomes impossible when you're dealing with 16ths of a beat and a string of taps ensues. Simple fix, color code the text messages. Oh, and I got rid of YOU SUCK as well, it was fun the first time around...

Finally, to see if I wasn't just being hypercritical of Nate's work, I asked my friend to try it out since he's directly involved with a similar game, Guitar Hero, and he had the same immediate problems I had, which is what I basically posted about here, LoL!

So now you have the extended version and if I die in my sleep my story will have been told... (I have no intentions of dying in my sleep, or ever in fact; I will be uploaded into my iPhone via iBrickr)

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Well, Nate says on his blog it took 2 days to complete. I don't know how much time after that was spent on getting it to this point.