Target buyers

joel

Nov 6, 2006
www.teenhut.net
From the initial specifications it gives me the feeling that iPhone will be a high-end product. The target audience will be high end buyers. If my observation is correct then will it not minimize the scope of sales.

jessy

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
www.teenhut.net
I wouldn't say this product is going to be high end, look at all of the other exorbitant electronic devices on the market. Teenagers have all of the cool stuff nowadays; the price doesn't seem to matter.

mrmacbook

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I am by no means a "high end" buyer. I am a college student. I am student teaching this fall, so I am basically an unpaid teacher. I love Apple gadgets. I saved and scraped together money from January to the release date. If I can save up enough money, anyone can.

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
i don't consider this to high end... there are many phones in the 400-500$ range... my nextel i930 was 500$ brand new and is still that much without a contract... now with a 2 year it is 350$... so its not a far jump... plus figure your also gettin an ipod... so say 400$ for the phone and 200$ for a 8Gb ipod ===== 600$-iphone.... so its not a crazy ammount

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I am by no means a "high end" buyer. I am a college student. I am student teaching this fall, so I am basically an unpaid teacher.
Are you by chance teaching archeology? You sure did a good job digging up an ancient thread! :p

--
Mike

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
I wouldn't consider it high end either, If you price any PDA/smart Phone when they first come out they're in the 500 dollar range.

rittchard

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Are you by chance teaching archeology? You sure did a good job digging up an ancient thread! :p

--
Mike
LOL, nice one!

Back OT, it does beg an interesting question I asked a while back. Who exactly is the target audience for the iPhone from the longterm sense, and what are Apple's plans to pursue them?

It's a "high end" product if you compare to cel phones in general, but not necessarily if you compare to other multi-function/PDA/portable entertainment devices. Because it sort of straddles multiple markets but doesn't necessarily hit any one of them 100%, it's hard to grasp who the ultimate target audience is. It can do a bunch of functions well, but is clearly not "hardcore" enough for businesss users (yet). It's a superior iPod/entertainment device in many respects, but is priced significantly higher and lacks the large storage capacity to make it a true replacement for the last video iPod. It's a good phone but again, priced significantly higher than your general entertainment phone. I'd say it's presently the best portable internet device out there because of it's interface, but that doesn't seem to be the marketing focus.

Do they want the mass market consumer? The iPod fans? Blackberry/businesss users? All of the above? It will take some interesting maneuvers to capture a broader audience, both in terms of pricing and in updating software/capabilities. Will be very interesting to see what happens toward Christmas this year and into 2008.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Right now, it's the smartphone for people who didn't really need a smartphone.

People who've never had a smartphone, are shocked by what can be done these days. They're mostly just having fun using it, or parts of it, which is a good thing.

People who really need a smart device, on the other hand, have spent the time learning the ins and outs of devices with the capabilities they require.

It's like when the first color Polaroid instant cameras came out. They were seen as very cool. and allowed the public to do a very unique action like snapping a picture without focusing and then seeing it developed in front of their eyes. But it didn't stop the pro's from using their harder-to-learn SLRs.

Eventually the easy devices get more powerful, and the more powerful get easier.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
I wouldn't say this product is going to be high end, look at all of the other exorbitant electronic devices on the market. Teenagers have all of the cool stuff nowadays; the price doesn't seem to matter.
well i just prove your point cause i am 15 and i got the iPhone as a week late birthday present. I am always on top of the new gadgets