Target trade-in of first generation iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chris, Nov 5, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I typically save my older devices, especially first generation models. I still have my first gen iPhone, which I'll never sell or trade. I decided to pass on the nostalgia of the iPad first generation model and trade it to Target today. The offer was too good to pass up. I was able to walk in and get a $200 Target Gift Card within 5 minutes. The guy wasn't aware of the program and was trying to help someone who was ahead of me. I alerted him as to the code 'NOVIPAD200', but that didn't work. He then took me ahead of the girl, thinking that my model might work, since I had the 16GB WiFi. As it turns out, there is a promotion they have to enable in the screens. Once you check 'On' next to iPad, it shows up as $200, instead of the standard $65 offering.

I had my iPad on Craigslist, but never got a serious offer, despite having it listed at $150.

I couldn't be happier. If you have a first generation iPad that is collecting dust, power it up, dust it off and get yourself $200.

I realize that a gift card is not cash, but it's Target. They have everything, so it's not like you cannot turn that card into something useful, like a new iPad Air.:LOL:

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Wow. They only offer $190 for my flawless iPad 3 32G Wifi.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

They offer a minimum of $200 in store for any iPad. Not sure if there is any premium on your iPad 3 32GB.

The offer was once available online, but has since changed to in store only.

We rarely used it. My daughter had been using it, but Netflix was slow as dirt and a good number of her apps would crash regularly. The kid has no patience for older technology. Tried to pass an iPhone 3GS off on her and she points to the iPhone 5. She's no fool.

I won't even tell you what happened when I showed her an Android phone.

4. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

Was this in the store or using their online quote tool? The online quoted me only $125 for my wifi 16gb iPad 2.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Online.

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Target's in-store 'floor' for iPad trade-ins is $200. Not sure I'd trade an iPad 2 for $200. I haven't looked around, but given it's retail price of $399, I bet it gets more than $200 on Craigslist.

7. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Just traded my 16g wifi only iPad 1 this afternoon. Took me two stores (first store said it could ONLY be applied towards a new iPad Air) but it was well worth it. Walked out with a $200 gift card from the 2nd store.

Thanks for the info. Chris!

8. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

Well . . . found out yesterday that, in Florida, they won't give you a gift card. You have to trade it in on an iPad. Something to do with being a licensed reseller or something. I'll just have to deal with CL. What a pain.

9. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I will try this on Sunday when I'm near target.

Sent using iCafe app from the Golden iPhone

10. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

I believe the promotion was only through the 9th. I am not certain but I thought I read that.

11. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Bummer.

Sent using iCafe app from the Golden iPhone

12. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I wish @chris would've mentioned this. I would've gladly traded in my iPad 1st Gen for $200 gift card. :(

13. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

You've got to move quick on these types of offers. I did a story on the blog on the 4th.

I bet you can get $150 cash on Craigslist.

#13 chris, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Thanks, I'll try that!

Sent using iCafe app

#14 EverythingApple, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015