Tasteless app of the day

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
No, it doesn't make fart sounds or jiggle body parts, but it does try to cash in on a near disaster:

http://mj.933flz.com/pages/mainfeed.html?page=1&feed=204719&article=5208532

You, too, can be a hero. For 99 cents, iPhone and iPod Touch users can now download a flight simulator called "Sully's Flight" which lets you recreate this past January's "Miracle on the Hudson."

Based on the "X-Plane" flight simulator, also available at Apple's App Store, the game takes you through takeoff, hitting a flock of geese, losing power in the engines, circling around Manhattan and trying to land in the Hudson River.

But be very careful — tilt the iPhone too far in any direction, and you'll end up sinking the jetliner and will have to start all over again.

Best of all, the game's audio is the actual air-traffic control recording between the stricken Airbus 320's crew, led by pilot Chesley Sullenberger III, and ground control.
It's just been pointed out to me that this app is in the top 25. [shakes head... walks away...]

Bilal

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Whats wrong with this? This app is an excellent tool to show exactly how difficult the landing was.

The dev went to great lengths to make this as realistic as possible so its not as if he did nothing to earn this money.

Is this any worse than the media portraying this event 24 7? Whats wrong with knowing how to land a plane on water? Whats wrong with knowing a semi accurate story through a game?

Nothing. Thats right nothing. Where do you guys get your "morals" from?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Hey, there's always a way to make money off of anything. I don't think it's a moral thing so much as a taste thing. It's just not for me.

Bilal

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Well i find it disrespectful to write off an app as "tasteless" when you clearly don't know the story behind the app, haven't played the app, or don't have an interest in flight sims.

Oh and this isn't a personal attack on you. Usually i have no qualms with your posts and probably would have agreed with you if the flight had BEEN a disaster not a near disaster.

So unless this app shows any brutal explosion sequences or the like ill say this app is in perfectly good taste for the general populus.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ok, I'll grant you that. Perhaps tasteless is the wrong word, but I'm at a loss. If someone can tell me what it is about this app that bothers me in 3 words or less, I'll edit the thread title.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
This app is an excellent tool to show exactly how difficult the landing was.
I was rereading this thread and this comment really did make me laugh out loud. Really? If anything, an iPhone game surely trivializes the difficulty and skill with which that pilot safely landed that jet, no matter how difficult the game is. I'm sorry, but I just needed to say that...

Hippo, that's definitely the right direction.

Bilal

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
I was rereading this thread and this comment really did make me laugh out loud. Really? If anything, an iPhone game surely trivializes the difficulty and skill with which that pilot safely landed that jet, no matter how difficult the game is. I'm sorry, but I just needed to say that...

Hippo, that's definitely the right direction.
If nothing is "trivialized" history is forgotten. Im done with this thread.

IlanaSense

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
wow...it is truly amazing that some people will in fact buy that... what has the world come to?
I know...

"Do you like girls in bikinis?
Do you like fart sounds?"

I have to say, I absolutely guffawed when I read that. But seriously - who thought this up?