Tax season

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
Following Christmas time the dreaded for some, delightful for others, tax season arrives. My question is will I be able to write off my iPad as a school expense?

Jmbaker429

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 28, 2010
Florida
Following Christmas time the dreaded for some, delightful for others, tax season arrives. My question is will I be able to write off my iPad as a school expense?
not sure about that one. I know you can for a businesss expense. (can you write off your books for school? If so I would think you could for the iPad as well)

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
not sure about that one. I know you can for a businesss expense. (can you write off your books for school? If so I would think you could for the iPad as well)
I've purchased a number of apps for a class I was taking and also purchased an e-textbook for a class. I would think that should consider it a school expense

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
If you're using it for school, as you stated, then you should be able to write it off, without a problem. When my ex-husband was in college, we were able to write off our whole computer and Internet connection.

I love that about my gadgets, since I'm self-employed.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
You might want to run that by an accountant. Tough call.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Little less than 1% of all filed taxes in any given year are audited. Pretty good odds you wont be.
Roll the dice.

;)

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
Audited? I don't think I would be doing anything wrong by trying to write off my iPad. I pay for classes out pocket because I'm terrified of student loans and because I'm not eligible for financial aid. I'm not rich! My husband's in the military and he has to be gone months at a time to war zones during the holidays just so we can live lower middle class. *sigh* frustrating. I'm going to get this degree so he never has to do that again.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
I got audited in 05. They said I popped up because I made double the amount of money than the year before. And I hit a higher tax bracket and I changed my filing status.
The found nothing wrong and actually informed me of one thug I could do the next year that would get me more money. Twice I've had an incident with the IRS an both times worked out well. Few months ago the sent me a check for over paying on taxes from moving money.

;)

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
For the past 2 years in a row, they've looked over my taxes and notified me that I missed deductions/credits that I should be taking.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
For the past 2 years in a row, they've looked over my taxes and notified me that I missed deductions/credits that I should be taking.

The IRS? So u got audited two years in a row?

;)

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
The IRS? So u got audited two years in a row?

;)
No, not an audit, it was just the base review that happens when you first file and they're putting them into their computer system.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
No, not an audit, it was just the base review that happens when you first file and they're putting them into their computer system.

I don't think that was the IRS (almost certain) it may have been whoever you files through whether that be on line or at a place like Jackson Hewitt.
The IRS when they review your files return will check it for math errors or filing miscues. Like head of household a then list dependence. The IRS will kick it back for that. But the IRS (could be wrong but I am 99% sure I'm not) will not look for and send it back with suggestions on deductions missed. Even during an audit they won't let you do things over. Some audit agents will give you suggestions for next year.

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
I don't think that was the IRS (almost certain) it may have been whoever you files through whether that be on line or at a place like Jackson Hewitt.
The IRS when they review your files return will check it for math errors or filing miscues. Like head of household a then list dependence. The IRS will kick it back for that. But the IRS (could be wrong but I am 99% sure I'm not) will not look for and send it back with suggestions on deductions missed. Even during an audit they won't let you do things over. Some audit agents will give you suggestions for next year.
No, I file my own taxes directly with the IRS. Last year it was a making work pay credit and this year it was the earned income credit, I didn't know they'd made changes, so I qualified for it. All paperwork about them has come directly from the IRS with their logo and address on it.

Contrary to what you seem to think, I'm not an idiot and have been doing my taxes myself for many years.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
No, I file my own taxes directly with the IRS. Last year it was a making work pay credit and this year it was the earned income credit, I didn't know they'd made changes, so I qualified for it. All paperwork about them has come directly from the IRS with their logo and address on it.

Contrary to what you seem to think, I'm not an idiot and have been doing my taxes myself for many years.
How did you know what I think?

I need proof. I don't believe you. I have worked in a tax office for three years. 2006-2009. I am up to snuff on the tax and IRS ins and outs. I have also been through an audit.
Doesn't matter really. I'll still sleep tonight.

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
How did you know what I think?

I need proof. I don't believe you. I have worked in a tax office for three years. 2006-2009. I am up to snuff on the tax and IRS ins and outs. I have also been through an audit.
Doesn't matter really. I'll still sleep tonight.
Because you make it obvious in ever post you talk to me! Frankly it's gotten really annoying and I'd much prefer you just pretend I don't exist.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Because you make it obvious in ever post you talk to me! Frankly it's gotten really annoying and I'd much prefer you just pretend I don't exist.
Not really a discussion to be had in a thread. I also think that's your interpretation.
Remember public forum. Not everyone will like everyone. Not going to let a post go that I think is blatantly wrong and misleading for other members go without a comment. I don't believe the IRS would send back a return with suggestions in how to get more deductions.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
That's what my girlfriend is going to be doing in June. Auditing for bank of America.