Tear-drop shaped design "A sight to behold"

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Okay, so, I've read about this tear-drop shaped design iPhone for months and months. I have no idea what it could possibly look like. Of course, none of us do. But think of it, an actual phone in the shape of a tear-drop? That makes no sense and sounds awfuly uncomfortable to hold and talk on.

What are your thoughts? Is this going to be a true piece of art or what? Can anyone figure out what is meant by tear-drop shaped iPhone?

Is this tear-drop design thing yet another weird rumor or does it hold some weight?

From the Case-Mate cases pictured, I didn't see anything that looked like a tear-drop. The tear-drop shaped design thing came up today again in a post from 9to5 mac.

Here is the link:
http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/15/new-york-times-iphone-announcement-in-weeks-yes-we-have-more/

Here is the article:

New York Times: iPhone announcement in weeks. Yes, we have more.

Seth Weintraub Apple Inc iOS Devices Discussion (17)
September 15, 2011 at 10:02 pm
We passed up the New York Times iPhone story earlier because it didn’t really contain any new product information. We’ve been hearing early October for awhile now in terms of when the iPhone gets released. Therefore, the announcement in ‘weeks’ isn’t news either.
Neither is the 8MP camera which I was on hand to hear Sony CEO Howard Stringer reveal earlier this year. Nor the A5 processor which isn’t even a small stretch. And the best bit:

two people with knowledge of the inner workings of Apple’s next-generation iPhones say either the iPhone 5 or iPhone 6 will include a new chip that is made by Qualcomm.​
Helpful.
But here’s some real info: We’ve heard that there are indeed two different models of iPhone coming out next month (announced this month?) We still think October 7th is the scheduled release date give or take any delays. We’ve heard the low-end model, which is essentially an iPhone 4 look-alike (glass front and back), is rolling off the assembly line in big numbers right now. Apple expects to have 10+ million of these things on hand for launch and full ramped production into the holiday shopping season. These will be priced aggressively and be everywhere.

They will also be offered in both prepaid and post paid plans (this is a big deal – more to come on that).

But there is some bad news…

It appears that the tear-drop shaped iPhone 5 with larger screen and thinner, rounder body is seeing continued design and production delays, at least on one assembly line (Apple has multiple production sources – Pegatron, Foxconn, etc). We thereforee think that iPhone 5 will be delayed slightly at the very least and may see shortages all the way into 2012.

The iPhone 5 itself is a sight to behold, we’ve been told. It is impossibly light, yet much firmer than Samsung Galaxy phones which are backed in plastic. The camera rivals point and shoot cameras and will be a major marketing point for this device.

As you probably know, information comes fast and furious in the run up to announcements. We’ll have lots more coming soon.

Arcangel2176

Silver
Jul 24, 2007
Wait, do you know what the tear-drop shaped design thing is?
Not per se know, but have seen professional renderings and its astonishing from those so I could imagine the real thing

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I think the teardrop design is horrendous; I wouldn't want it.
I'm not so sure, as much as I love the iPhone 4's design I sort of like the idea of convex back similar to the 3G/3GS. The only problem is that it wont sit right on a table or desk.

Arcangel2176

Silver
Jul 24, 2007
I'm not so sure, as much as I love the iPhone 4's design I sort of like the idea of convex back similar to the 3G/3GS. The only problem is that it wont sit right on a table or desk.
well depending on how the teardrop is designed wouldn't it sit like a calculator on a table or desk?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
well depending on how the teardrop is designed wouldn't it sit like a calculator on a table or desk?
I see what you mean, deeper at the top section and shallower at the dock connector. I suppose I could grow to like it :p

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Another rumor? Did some of you just get the iPhone last year or what? You've never gone through the rumor cycle before?!
I've been through the rumor cycle before Naps! LOL! I just thought this held some weight. But I know better. If it was real, I would just love to know how in the heck it could actually exist.

Not per se know, but have seen professional renderings and its astonishing from those so I could imagine the real thing
You've seen professional renderings?! Well, well, well what a lucky duck you are. I gather from many of the other posts this tear-drop has to do with how the phone is shaped in the back. It sounds stupid but we shall see.