tech savvy but new to HDTV

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
thats cool, my gf mom has tv that has the just and full option mine does not, i have to find out what is what.... but this happens on the HD channels too, the comercials do the box thing , and i read that it "burns in"

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
thats cool, my gf mom has tv that has the just and full option mine does not, i have to find out what is what.... but this happens on the HD channels too, the comercials do the box thing , and i read that it "burns in"
I heard about this burn and seriously, it has to be stationery with the lines for a very long time for the screen to actually burn. I kept a dvd on pause for an hour (by mistake) and it didn't revert to a "screen saver." There was no burn. I really wouldn't worry about it.

But I highly doubt that your t.v. does not have the FULL and JUST settings that i described. They might not be called that, but I can pretty much guarantee the t.v. has it.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
yes that is what i meant about the full and just, im sure that it is called something else...

i got the HD down...

now my component connectors are messed up i think, my wii looks like ass

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
yes i like it , i just don't like that the shows that are not HD but are on HD channels are all 4:3 with the black lines on the sides.... sucks
That's called pillarbox format.

I started out with my Samsung 50" DLP HDTV on Comcast, and the difference was like night and day. I'm with Verizon FIOS now, and the quality of HD is still great.

NFL football looks great on it, and Monday night, 24 is gonna look silly (I'm watching tomorrow's episodes of 24 at my brother's house, I think, and he has a regular standard definition set -- he and I call it HD: HUR-ting definition)!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I heard about this burn and seriously, it has to be stationery with the lines for a very long time for the screen to actually burn. I kept a dvd on pause for an hour (by mistake) and it didn't revert to a "screen saver." There was no burn. I really wouldn't worry about it.

But I highly doubt that your t.v. does not have the FULL and JUST settings that i described. They might not be called that, but I can pretty much guarantee the t.v. has it.
The settings might be called 4:3, 16.9 and wide-screen. That's what they're called on my set.

Personally, I like the aspect ratios to be correct. I never use wide-screen, because I hate stretched pictures.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
That's called pillarbox format.

I started out with my Samsung 50" DLP HDTV on Comcast, and the difference was like night and day. I'm with Verizon FIOS now, and the quality of HD is still great.

NFL football looks great on it, and Monday night, 24 is gonna look silly (I'm watching tomorrow's episodes of 24 at my brother's house, I think, and he has a regular standard definition set -- he and I call it HD: HUR-ting definition)!

yes im getting used to it and the different channels for it and all that, about the pillarbox thing, i knew that :p but i was not sure that everyone did and didn't wanna explain that too...

thanks for the input

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
I have a plasma, and I don't worry about the black lines on non-HD channels. Realistically, you have to leave the TV running like that for a day or two.

"Line" marks fade away pretty quick too. The old reality is now more of a misconception ...... you really have to be an idiot to ruin a plasma screen. Just don't leave the TV on for 2 days. I've had my TV for almost a year, and I watch HD and non-HD channels pretty equally...I leave the black bars there, b/c I hate the way stretch-to-fit looks. I have no burnt in lines at all. Plasma is the way to go. Much better picture overall.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
If you're just watching tv and movies, I would go with plasma. But I think LCD is better suited for gaming or use with a PC.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
If you're just watching tv and movies, I would go with plasma. But I think LCD is better suited for gaming or use with a PC.
Mine works great for that, too. No problems, and looks amazing.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i'm sure it does. You really can't go wrong either way these days.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Anyone else hear about California limiting the sale of flat panels TVs because of the energy consumption?

Here's a link to the story.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
I use philips hdmi cables.. Those ok or are there ones that people recommend other then the name popular monster cables?

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
I use nothing but monster. I have heard that they are a waste of money but I keep using them.

zandrik

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Same

Well im not sure what the comcast box is but HD television is only displayed in 720p so your not actually getting the 1080i. If you want real 1080p get a blueray player. HDMI is going to broadcast a much better picture. I think 1080 is only available through HDMI but I could be wrong. Remember HDMI is video only so make other arrangments for audio.

1080i (i for interlaced) and 720p (progressive) has the same picture quality. At lease I'm pretty sure they do.