Technical iPhone main memory and NAND flash question?

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I've seen pic's of the 3G motherboard and was wondering if anyone knew where the iPhone's 128MB main memory is physically?

Is part of the NAND flash designated as main memory? Or, is the 128MB of main memory part of the main CPU package?

The reason I ask is because it's pretty common knowledge that iPhone main memory is quite lacking, and iPhone operates with no SWAP. But, if NAND was designated as main memory, then theoretically, the iPhone main memory could be upgraded via firmware update.

Now that I think of it, iPhone should be able to create SWAP via firmware update as well.

I'm just rambling, if anyone knows please reply.

ALOHA from Honolulu, Hawaii

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I found this...

http://i.cmpnet.com/techonline/uth/pmiPhone_boardtopBIG.jpg

It looks like the DDR is on the CPU package.

I guess a main memory upgrade has got to be a new hardware revision, but I still think memory SWAP could be implemented through a firmware update if needed.
It looks like the CPU and RAM are sharing the chip! One thing I still don't get is why Apple didn't integrate more than 128MB of RAM -> 256MB would be great!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
One thing I still don't get is why Apple didn't integrate more than 128MB of RAM -> 256MB would be great!
$$$... they did the best they could with the affordable technology of the day, but as all things tech, time marches on...

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
They also had CPU power to deal with as well. What good is 256MB of RAM if the CPU is to weak to take the load of larger or more programs/processes.

I guess you could say they balanced the CPU power/memory quite well with the technology available at the time.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
They also had CPU power to deal with as well. What good is 256MB of RAM if the CPU is to weak to take the load of larger or more programs/processes.

I guess you could say they balanced the CPU power/memory quite well with the technology available at the time.
The balance between CPU / RAM is very important! Too much CPU power and less RAM wont do anything good, and as you said - Too much RAM with lower power on the CPU wont work well.

But we are reaching close to the top of used RAM when using our everyday applications on the iPhone. I'll guess the problem really shows off on a JB iPhone!?

I know we have applications as "Free Memory" from the AppStore, but you have to release some RAM 1-3 times at day, if using the iPhone for gaming etc.

johndoe25

Dec 25, 2008
I begin to remember the "good" old days with 1MB RAM on PC... ;)
My C64 had only 64k:oops: & my first PC had 512k with a 20 mb hard drive that I bumped to 640k then on to 1mb.:p