Technical Question-Edge & 3G S

Mike12000

Bronze
Oct 22, 2007
Southern Illinois
Will the new hardware (faster processor, etc.) provide any enhancement to how Edge responds in non-3G areas? Or does the hardware's functionality not have anything to do with how EDGE/Internet browsing works?

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Pages may render faster and you may have some (not too much though) speed increase.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
LOL no. I think shutter misunderstood the question. CPU speed and increase RAM will have very little effect on the speed of loading websites. Edge is edge and it can only download/upload so fast.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
LOL no. I think shutter misunderstood the question. CPU speed and increase RAM will have very little effect on the speed of loading websites. Edge is edge and it can only download/upload so fast.
But with the new processor and all they demonstrated at wwdc, the pages should render faster, atleast. It will be interesting to see for sure.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly

Actually, I disagree. A large part of the appearance of a web page loading slowly is the time it takes to render, which should get a lot faster with the new hardware. Of course, the current gen iPhones have no trouble keeping up with Edge's raw data rate, so it's not like a bottleneck there is being overcome, but rendering improvements should speed up overall web browsing.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Actually, I disagree. A large part of the appearance of a web page loading slowly is the time it takes to render, which should get a lot faster with the new hardware. Of course, the current gen iPhones have no trouble keeping up with Edge's raw data rate, so it's not like a bottleneck there is being overcome, but rendering improvements should speed up overall web browsing.
Right. Edge is SOOO slow you wont see a big difference or maybe any at all. Max edge speed is like 200kbps or so which is like 25KB/s. Excluding images/flash/etc, everythingicafe.com homepage is about 47KB. Each image is at least 50KB and anywhere upward to 1000KB. Sure it takes time for safari to render the page but when you're on edge, the majority of the time is spent downloading the data.

Mike12000

Bronze
Oct 22, 2007
Southern Illinois
Thanks everyone. Your opinions taken as a whole make sense. One might see a slight improvement, but no really significant increase in load time. I appreciate it!

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
Will the new hardware (faster processor, etc.) provide any enhancement to how Edge responds in non-3G areas? Or does the hardware's functionality not have anything to do with how EDGE/Internet browsing works?
Edge does work a little better with new hardware, but the signifigant improvement is with 3G. I speculate that maybe in 1 or 2 years there might a an iPhone 4G, but it seems that Sprint already beat AT&T to 4G speed.