Tell me how WiFi works with the iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

danielfillmore

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hey all! I'm yet to get my iPhone but I have a question if someone could help. I have never used WiFi, and I live in Pittsburgh, which offers free WiFi in the downtown area. My girlfriend said you get 2 hours free per day, but I didn't understand how they moniter everyones usage. She said you have to log in through the city website or something. Is all WiFi like this? I though the device just pics up the signal and your good to go. If someone could tell me how WiFi works with the iPhone that would be great. Thanks

daziphone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Columbus OH
Hey all! I'm yet to get my iPhone but I have a question if someone could help. I have never used WiFi, and I live in Pittsburgh, which offers free WiFi in the downtown area. My girlfriend said you get 2 hours free per day, but I didn't understand how they moniter everyones usage. She said you have to log in through the city website or something. Is all WiFi like this? I though the device just pics up the signal and your good to go. If someone could tell me how WiFi works with the iPhone that would be great. Thanks
It's my experience that WiFi is "open" free if who ever is providing it wants it to be. The WiFi provided in the downtown area you are talking about is probably monitored via a password. You probably have to log in with a password (tag your usage) and then make the password invalid.

Most Wi Fi is not free, unless purposely made to be. Your iPhone will pick up any WiFi in the area but most times you will see a small "lock icon" next to it, that being the case you will need a password. The short of it is that you will get WiFi signals that are "locked" on purpose, you will need a password only if they (the provider) wants to share. If you receive a WiFi signal that has no lock........ select it and enjoy!

danielfillmore

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
It's my experience that WiFi is "open" free if who ever is providing it wants it to be. The WiFi provided in the downtown area you are talking about is probably monitored via a password. You probably have to log in with a password (tag your usage) and then make the password invalid.

Most Wi Fi is not free, unless purposely made to be. Your iPhone will pick up any WiFi in the area but most times you will see a small "lock icon" next to it, that being the case you will need a password. The short of it is that you will get WiFi signals that are "locked" on purpose, you will need a password only if they (the provider) wants to share. If you receive a WiFi signal that has no lock........ select it and enjoy!
Thank you. so i'll mostly be using the edge network to surf the net on iPhone, but should switch to wifi when it is available (downtown area, my house, etc. . )?