Tell me if this is a good idea?

MiPhone7012

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Seattle, WA
Ok so I hve a 3gs. And love it but I want it unlocked because I travel out of the country a few times a year and it would be nice to use my iPhone I really don't care if the same 3g is supported. But here's my problem I don't want turbo sim or anything like that I want factory unlocked soo this is what I'm thinking when I in Europe I take it to Apple store and just act as if I got it there and say I'm having problems with it and get a factory unlocked one. Do you think this could work?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm sure they'll be able to tell simply by the serial number that it wasn't purchased in Europe but instead, the United States. You could give it a try but I wouldn't be certain it would work.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
They can tell where it was purchased from the serial number. I really doubt this will work, especially since you aren't having a legit problem with it. I would buy a factory unlocked phone while over there. It would be areally nice thing to have since you travel abroad a lot.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
As soon as a genius plugs it in they will get a notification on their screen saying not covered under warranty. Im sure this will have been tried lots!

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
A factory unlocked phone carries a different model number, too. I thought it was only offered in Hong Kong?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I think NZ also offers unlocked handsets. Macgirl bought a factory unlocked 3G if i remember correctly