Tell Steve Jobs: Unlock the iPhone!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
LOL, do you think some petition from a liberal reform group will have any effect on Apple's businesss models? I don't....

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
A bunch of cryin' going on here.

If you want one cancel your contract and get one. If you don't want to cancel your contract have fun watching all of us with our cool new toy. :cool:

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
He has 50 million reasons not to unlock it. And on top of that if you unlocked it, the phone would just be a sexy peace of hardware no function. It won't work until activated anyway.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
With the acknowledgement that Apple gets a part of the monthly revenue for these phones, they have ZERO reasons to want to unlock it, and millions of reasons why they would not want ANYONE using it except for AT&T subscribers.

So I think you can understand it will be at least 5 years before you are able to use an iPhone or any future iPhones on any network except AT&T, in the US.

gt1948

Bronze
Jan 30, 2007
Memphis
keep it locked Stevo..... Like the man said if you develop really cool software you should also develop the hardware to go with it.....Keep control that way.....quality product, not junk.

Apple for Ever.....eat up that market share

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
I think they'll end up unlocking it.

Think about it. If you have a locked phone you can't travel with it and use it in other countries, unless you pay crazy international rates. Steve will obviously be using an iPhone. Steve obviously travels worldwide all the time. Does Steve want to carry 6 different iPhones (even though he could afford it). No way.

Apple, and in particular, Steve Jobs is highly consumer centric in his thinking. If something makes for a bad consumer experience he wants to fix it. Now.

It may remain locked for the short term but I think Apple will have a true international phone in the future. That means unlocked.

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007

Think about it. If you have a locked phone you can't travel with it and use it in other countries, unless you pay crazy international rates. Steve will obviously be using an iPhone. Steve obviously travels worldwide all the time. Does Steve want to carry 6 different iPhones (even though he could afford it). No way.

Apple, and in particular, Steve Jobs is highly consumer centric in his thinking. If something makes for a bad consumer experience he wants to fix it. Now.

It may remain locked for the short term but I think Apple will have a true international phone in the future. That means unlocked.
Actually I was just in Europe for businesss and I used my International roaming plan which is $5.99/month and that made all of my calls like $0.07 per minute. I think that is VERY reasonable. Keep it locked!

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
I got $20 that says that it is AT&T that demanded it be locked and not jobs. Interesting how they have deflected any critism of phone locking. Cosnidering that EVERY MAJOR carrier has locked phones. Some carriers will unlock them for you sure but they all sell locked phones.

I am 100% positive that as soon the exclusivity with AT&T is over the iPhone wil lonly be sold in an unlocked form.

- SR

radbrent

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
A bunch of cryin' going on here.

If you want one cancel your contract and get one. If you don't want to cancel your contract have fun watching all of us with our cool new toy. :cool:
Lol!

Wooo!
:]

IT'S CALLED marketing...
Take the First Gen. Ipods (mini too) They didn't have color screen. APPLE had the technology, but they made them black & white that way people would buy again when they introduced color! it's all marketing. world based around money and Apple has got a lot of it because they are great marketers.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Actually I was just in Europe for businesss and I used my International roaming plan which is $5.99/month and that made all of my calls like $0.07 per minute. I think that is VERY reasonable. Keep it locked!
Last time I checked the rate was like $0.35/min in China. And that's making local calls. Where do most of Apple's employees travel to? You guessed it.

Unlocked it.

Think of it like this. Locking a cell phone is like DRM on digital music. We know where Steve stands on that one.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
I got $20 that says that it is AT&T that demanded it be locked and not jobs. Interesting how they have deflected any critism of phone locking. Cosnidering that EVERY MAJOR carrier has locked phones. Some carriers will unlock them for you sure but they all sell locked phones.

I am 100% positive that as soon the exclusivity with AT&T is over the iPhone wil lonly be sold in an unlocked form.

- SR
Exactly. Thank you.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
haha that article is a funny read. they didn't lock the phone, they jusy simply made a unique sim card to make it more difficult to unlock it. smart moves by both Apple and att. although it sucks that you cant put your sim into another phone for times when you don't want your iPhone on you...

2russky

Jun 26, 2007
Do you really think Steve will ever see his phone bill?
I'm sure someone handles his bills for him and it is a businesss expense in any case.
Plus he is a billionaire, he won't know the difference.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Do you really think Steve will ever see his phone bill?
I'm sure someone handles his bills for him and it is a businesss expense in any case.
Plus he is a billionaire, he won't know the difference.
I think you underestimate Steve Jobs desire to create the ultimate customer experience. That's how he became a billionaire in the first place and I don't see any signs that he's losing touch with that approach. In fact, I think he's enhancing that businesss approach in every way he can.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
haha that article is a funny read. they didn't lock the phone, they jusy simply made a unique sim card to make it more difficult to unlock it. smart moves by both Apple and att. although it sucks that you cant put your sim into another phone for times when you don't want your iPhone on you...
You know, as far as I know, neither one of these has been confirmed.

Jun 28, 2007

Come on, do you really think he is paying for his service...

Jun 27, 2007
San Jose, CA
Online petitions do NOT work. Geez.

That's not necessarily true, in the political arena at least (they give advocacy groups some real people and numbers to point to in support of their issues), but in the technical / entertainment fields: no way. a few thousand customers compared to billion dollar markets means the plans don't change.

(And workingassets is a neat idea, but it bugs me that they're using a platform supposedly based on progressive issues to argue about a high-end, really expensive technical toy.)