Temporary number question

Jul 1, 2008
I currently have a contract with Verizon that is not up until September, and my number is a central NJ area code. My plan is to get the iPhone when it comes out, and get a temporary number with AT&T, and then port my Verizon number over when my contract expires. I've heard of people doing this, so it's definitely possible, right?

Here's the second part: I'm going to be out of town next Friday - I'm fine with just waiting till I get home to get the iPhone, it's not that big of a deal to me. But if I get the iPhone while I'm away, from a NY area code, will I still be able to port my central NJ number to this account? If not, like I said, I'll just wait till I get home. But if this will work, I might get it while I'm away if it's convenient. Thanks for the help.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
You will want to port your number before you cancel the Verizon contract.
As to the second question, I see no reason that wouldn't be possible.

Jul 1, 2008
You will want to port your number before you cancel the Verizon contract.
As to the second question, I see no reason that wouldn't be possible.
I knew the first part, because canceling the contract loses the number, and porting the number cancels the line anyway right? So yeah, I'll be sure to wait until the contract expires before porting the number, but will not actually *cancel* the line first.

Hmm, I hope it's possible. Like I said, I have no problem waiting a couple days to get the iPhone, but it would be awesome to get it on launch day and be able to play with it on the train ride home. I guess I'll just wait and ask the people at the Apple or AT&T store. Thanks!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Hmm, I hope it's possible. Like I said, I have no problem waiting a couple days to get the iPhone, but it would be awesome to get it on launch day and be able to play with it on the train ride home. I guess I'll just wait and ask the people at the Apple or AT&T store. Thanks!
This should be very doable. Enjoy the new phone.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yep, port it and then cancel, and you should be good. Enjoy the iPhone!

- John

Jul 1, 2008
Cool, thanks for all the responses! Does anyone know specifically, though, if it'll be ok to port the number even if I get my iPhone and sign up for the temporary line in a *different state*?

edit: dturner seems to think so; does anyone else know?

dkny3362

Jun 29, 2008
I'm wondering the same thing. We want to get temporary numbers on the iPhone 3G and wait a week to make sure we have good service in our area (have a lot of problems at home with sprint service) and then port all 3 lines once we're sure we're happy with the service. I hope we can get temporary numbers for a week and then port our numbers from Sprint over.

Also, I checked the porting number eligibility and 2 of the 3 lines are eligible, but my husbands phone number says ineligible. He uses this phone for businesss and cannot change his number. Is there a reason for it saying ineligible and what are we supposed to do to get this to port over from sprint to AT&T? Thanks for any help you can offer.

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
i also have this question...as i originally got my current cell phone in pennsylvania...and am now living in illinois. when i go to the ATT site and check if i can port my number, it asks for my zip code. when i give my current it says it wont work. when i give the zip code i used to live in, then it says i can port it.

this makes me think for some reason it wouldn't work? but i don't know why. i will be very upset if i cant port my number :\

Jul 1, 2008
So I called both my local AT&T store and the AT&T in the town where I plan to buy the iPhone, and they said that when I get my iPhone and sign up with AT&T, they should be able to give me a temporary phone number with my *home* area code, so that when I port my number I won't have any trouble at all. Looks like I'm good to go!

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
So I called both my local AT&T store and the AT&T in the town where I plan to buy the iPhone, and they said that when I get my iPhone and sign up with AT&T, they should be able to give me a temporary phone number with my *home* area code, so that when I port my number I won't have any trouble at all. Looks like I'm good to go!
so there would be a problem porting the number when at a store in a different state? or area code?

Jul 1, 2008
so there would be a problem porting the number when at a store in a different state? or area code?
I don't know this for sure, but I think you need to initiate the porting in the area code where the number you're porting is located. So if you want to port your 123 area code number, I think you need to go to a store in the 123 area code. And apparently it makes it a lot easier if the number you're porting *to* is also in the 123 area code. But don't take my word for this, and your best bet would be to call AT&T.