Term vt-100 password?

omega047

Nov 5, 2007
I tried using terminal before but i was thwarted by every time i open the program it asks me for a password just says "password:" at the top of the screen but i really need to use it now and cant anywho it doesn't let me type or anything just touch the black part of the screen and have the little circle navigator thing pop up anyone have an idea what this password thing might be i was going to try "alpine" or is it "dottie" but since its not letting me type anything on the keyboard i cant?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
there should be a keyboard.

Make sure your BSD is at least 2.0.

it is alpine

omega047

Nov 5, 2007
there is a keyboard just not letting me type in anything?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Does nobody else know of this issue? Term-vt100 does not work properly on 1.13/1.14. You need to download this Terminal instead and place it into /Applications.

- John

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Vterm 1.1.3 Backspace fix and SUID lib fix is all it took for my Terminal to work without a hitch.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
John, I have vt-100....

I've been ZiPhoned, and that was the first thing I put on there (besides BSD and OpenSSh)

24trepid

Silver
Jan 13, 2008
Florida
I'm on 1.1.4 jailbroke with ZiPhone, and can't get terminal to work.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Install Community Sources in Installer.

Browse to Tweaks (1.1.3) and look for the Backspace fix

Browse Tweaks and look for the SUID Lib Fix.

You'll be able to log in using the password: alpine

Dunno why Terminal hasn't been updated this late in the game, but the fixes work so meh.

24trepid

Silver
Jan 13, 2008
Florida
Installed everything, still nothing. It loads, but won't let me type anything.
Tried reset phone, power off and back on. Nothing. Does it matter that my BSD Subsystem is version 2.1 ?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Installed everything, still nothing. It loads, but won't let me type anything.
Tried reset phone, power off and back on. Nothing. Does it matter that my BSD Subsystem is version 2.1 ?
Are you using Cydia's BSD, or the one from Installer?

I'm using the basic BSD that you can get from Installer, I believe its 2.1.

I've honestly avoided using Cydia because of it's quirks with BSD and the trickle affect it creates in other applications.

I'm sorry I can't offer anymore advice on the matter, I'd hate to steer you the wrong direction without having first tried things myself. That said I've detailed the steps I use when installing Terminal on my iPhone and my friends, which was installing the BSD Subsystem, then Terminal, followed by the two patches to fix logging in and the backspace issue.

24trepid

Silver
Jan 13, 2008
Florida
I'm using installer, not cydia. But thanks for the info x999x......

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I'm using installer, not cydia. But thanks for the info x999x......
Let me ask you this, what are the permissions on the Terminal App?

They need to be 777 if I'm not mistaken, as they won't work with the stock 755 for some reason.

If you have access to WinSCP, Putty, or the Terminal on Mac, issue this command:

chmod -R 777 /Applications/Term-vt100.app

I've read that not having the proper permissions will prevent you from typing now that I think about it, heh.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Thanks for the thanks, but I'm interested to know, did this permissions change work for you?

24trepid

Silver
Jan 13, 2008
Florida
Well don't laugh, but I don't have access to wifi at home. I know, I need to get a wireless router. The main reason I wanted terminal on phone, was to try and get the Fontswap app to work. Well, after a month of trying and searching, I actually found a repo with the fontswap app. And it WORKS on 1.1.4 ......... YIPEEEEEE

And once again THANKS. I knew what you were talking about, just had no way to ssh into phone.

Not to get off subject, but you gonna add more to your repo ?
I've bled it dry.....LOL

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Well don't laugh, but I don't have access to wifi at home. I know, I need to get a wireless router. The main reason I wanted terminal on phone, was to try and get the Fontswap app to work. Well, after a month of trying and searching, I actually found a repo with the fontswap app. And it WORKS on 1.1.4 ......... YIPEEEEEE

And once again THANKS. I knew what you were talking about, just had no way to ssh into phone.

Not to get off subject, but you gonna add more to your repo ?
I've bled it dry.....LOL
Haha, okay, makes sense. Sucks you need Wifi to do some of these important steps, wish there was another way :T

As for my Repo, yeah I was actually looking into an SMS mod to make it vibrate longer, or hopefully more than once. I never feel it, especially when I'm driving.

More ringtones and wallpapers are in order, as well as possibly hosting SwapTunes since all this "hiding your videos" stuff seems to be pretty popular right now (hidepod).

24trepid

Silver
Jan 13, 2008
Florida
Haha, okay, makes sense. Sucks you need Wifi to do some of these important steps, wish there was another way :T

As for my Repo, yeah I was actually looking into an SMS mod to make it vibrate longer, or hopefully more than once. I never feel it, especially when I'm driving.

More ringtones and wallpapers are in order, as well as possibly hosting SwapTunes since all this "hiding your videos" stuff seems to be pretty popular right now (hidepod).
AWESOME !

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Either way, the one I linked to can be used in landscape, which I enjoy for typing in the extremely long password I use for root accounts.

- John

moppsy

Jul 31, 2007
NJ
Either way, the one I linked to can be used in landscape, which I enjoy for typing in the extremely long password I use for root accounts.

- John
As well as some other niceties like color support, gestures, configurable pie menu and multiple terminals.