Terrible battery back up

avin7000

Bronze
Jun 7, 2011
I am having terrible battery back up, just 10-12 hours :-/ I tested twice :(

-I have 4.3.3 JB'ed
-Hardly installed apps, some 25 in total
-Never run any app in back ground, used Home button to close them.
-No games more than an hour while testing. That too simple games, Non HD
-Wifi, 3G, Location service disabled
-Brightness some 30%
-ONLY one push notification, my email. Rest all notifications disabled.
-two or three calls of just 2-3 min each. No SMS
-No vibration mode

So is there any problem with my iPhone battery ? [It just a month old]

I didn't do any tweaks ! I just installed SB Settings. That's the only app I am having from Cydia.

Another test :
- disabled everything; turned airplane mode on, wi fi off, gps off, notifications, push off. Set the brightness to some 50-60 %. Initially battery level was at 61% I saw a movie in air player for just one hour, the battery reduced to 43% ! [The movie wasn't ripped for iPhone, the air player can play 600MB avi directly ] that means if I watch full length 2 hour movie would it take almost 40% of battery ? :( even on flight mode with wifi and gps disabled :( :(

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
Your battery sounds fine. I think you are expecting too much from it..

You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

avin7000

Bronze
Jun 7, 2011
I thought iPhone gives atleast one day full battery

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
I thought iPhone gives atleast one day full battery
It would depend how you use it. The iPhones battery is advertised to give 10 hours of battery life. So of you're getting 11-12 count yourself lucky

You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

avin7000

Bronze
Jun 7, 2011
I have mentioned my usages above, and for that I thought I would be getting a day back up...if that is so, then why everyone says iPhone gives more battery back up than Android devices ?

Syamil

Bronze
Jan 31, 2011
Singapore
I have mentioned my usages above, and for that I thought I would be getting a day back up...if that is so, then why everyone says iPhone gives more battery back up than Android devices ?
Batteries are made to be recharged. Don't expect too much from backups. An iPhone isn't made to watch movies too. Though it could, but it's not really suitable.

The screen is too small for long movies, and the speaker too soft. It heats up quickly too if used for too
long. Chill alright? There's always another gadget for a purpose.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Rea
Batteries are made to be recharged. Don't expect too much from backups. An iPhone isn't made to watch movies too. Though it could, but it's not really suitable.

The screen is too small for long movies, and the speaker too soft. It heats up quickly too if used for too
long. Chill alright? There's always another gadget for a purpose.
Really? I watch movies on my iPhone all the time. Especially on Plane trips. And if I bring an extra set of headphones and a splitter, than 2 of us can watch.
And for the record. I can easily watch a full movie and have plenty of battery to spare afterwards. I have watched 6 30 minutes episodes of a tv show on Netflix and still had over 30% battery left.

Syamil

Bronze
Jan 31, 2011
Singapore
Rea
Really? I watch movies on my iPhone all the time. Especially on Plane trips. And if I bring an extra set of headphones and a splitter, than 2 of us can watch.
And for the record. I can easily watch a full movie and have plenty of battery to spare afterwards. I have watched 6 30 minutes episodes of a tv show on Netflix and still had over 30% battery left.
Impressive. But I still prefer watching it on a bigger screen though, maybe that's you preference Hawk. iPhone 4 still has the best screen around, but unfortunately it's the size that's bothering me. I always have that dizzy after effect when watching movies on a screen smaller than my face. ( ;´Д`)

Phil DeLong

Bronze
Jan 16, 2011
IN
Because Androids have been known to give as little as 5-6 hours of battery life. If you're expecting to watch multiple movies in a day and still have your battery last longer than 10-12 hours you are never going to find a phone that suits your purposes.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Avin, I looked at your usage stats and it isn't as bad as you think. First, you only lost 18%. I know you turned everything else off, but one of the biggest battery killers you left what I consider "Higher than normal".
Yes, talking about your screen brightness. 50-60% is pretty darn bright (at least on my phone.) I run somewhere between a 1/4 and a 1/3 of the slider bar.
If you don't believe me, run the same test again, but change the brightness. Do one test with lower, and one with higher and see how it fairs.
Your stats above basically state you lost 18% for one hour of video (personally, I think that's fine, but if your not happy, lets test). So try with higher and lower brightness and see what happens. If you still use 18% no matter what, then I am incorrect and not sure what to tell you.
But I am pretty sure that you will see less drain with a lower brightness and higher drain with higher brightness.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
btw, I do have to note that you might want to charge to 100%, and do your test first with the brightness you have set for a baseline. Then charge again with the different levels of brightness, charging between each test.

avin7000

Bronze
Jun 7, 2011
@hawk - thank you very much for replying, I will do another test and post reports here :)